Notices

freshening a 454

Old 10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ENFORCER24
I Guess Ateco's website kinda answered my question
there 530hp 496ci marine engine has the cast crank in it , the forged is an upgrade
even knowing this if its a question of 200 bucks , i'll go forged just in case i decide down the road to get more radical with the ponies then the 475 i'm looking for
Go ahead and get a little crazy. Call RMBUILDER for a camshaft.

What heads are you using?

Square port chevys?

You should get more than 475 by default.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ENFORCER, did you give up on the blower deal ? or are you building a motor for one ? Rob
Old 10-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

781 Casting large oval heads , was gonna use a cam thats a gen 4 equivilent of a hp500 carb cam ,

and ezstriper , i havent abandoned that idea yet , but when common sence took over , if i sink 2 grand into a blower set up , then i need to stretch the wallet to do the bottem end when it melts , and it will.
i'm gonna build the bottem end , see how that extra HP feels , and come spring if the need to go even faster is still there , i'll put the screws to it (screw type blower)

aside from engine mods , i'm also putting on sport tabs and external steering , kinda like brake upgrades on the hotrod , i wanna go fast but dont wanna kill myself doing it

then i'll give you a call to put the air conditioning in
Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

781 Casting large oval heads , was gonna use a cam thats a gen 4 equivilent of a hp500 carb cam ,

and ezstriper , i havent abandoned that idea yet , but when common sence took over , if i sink 2 grand into a blower set up , then i need to stretch the wallet to do the bottem end when it melts , and it will.
i'm gonna build the bottem end , see how that extra HP feels , and come spring if the need to go even faster is still there , i'll put the screws to it (screw type blower)

aside from engine mods , i'm also putting on sport tabs and external steering , kinda like brake upgrades on the hotrod , i wanna go fast but dont wanna kill myself doing it

then i'll give you a call to put the air conditioning in
Those are good heads. I have a 496 sitting here that I put the Merlin equivalent onto. makes areound 550. Have to use a header on it though. Pretty agresive cam. Might make more than that. never Dynoed it.

Bob will make you a cam for around 300 or so I think and you will like it a lot better than the HP500 dump truck cam.

Use an air gap intake, or eqivalent with that head for best results. You can have a shop do a little work on the exhaust ports, you can also have bigger valves installed. Those are great heads for a mild engine like that.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered

actually she's running like a raped ape with the Victor Jr 454-0and a holley 750 dp , the valves are stock size , it really build torque like a monster
and even after the bottem end i still wanna keep the redline @ 5200 or below
whats wrong with the spec's on the HP500 cam ? i've riidden and driven more then a few single hp500 boats and really like the power they put out , and the curve seems like its right on for where you need the torque and HP in the mid and upper ranges , of coarse the only things i can compare to are 454's and 502/415's in similar boats
Old 10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

actually she's running like a raped ape with the Victor Jr 454-0and a holley 750 dp , the valves are stock size , it really build torque like a monster
and even after the bottem end i still wanna keep the redline @ 5200 or below
whats wrong with the spec's on the HP500 cam ? i've riidden and driven more then a few single hp500 boats and really like the power they put out , and the curve seems like its right on for where you need the torque and HP in the mid and upper ranges , of coarse the only things i can compare to are 454's and 502/415's in similar boats
These are all just suggestions for even more fun.

454-0 is a good intake for what you are doing also. It will bring in more power on the upper end of the spectrum.

With the longer crank you will need a little more duration, but you should contact bob for his opinion. He is the cam guru.

It will also depend on your exhaust set up.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Registered

thanks Jeff , before i buy a cam i'll call or IM rmbuilder and see what he thinks about my particular setup
Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

thanks Jeff , before i buy a cam i'll call or IM rmbuilder and see what he thinks about my particular setup
He is not any more expensive that rane or comp. you get a better product and you get better knowledge. He is a hell of a lot cheaper than Merc.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what I was leading up to, I have a complete 177 marine blower set up, also a 482 blower motor set up, with without heads, and I'm close to you...also a trick 850 flowed blower carb, I did not want to to the steering that my boat needed and I have my 2 sons that drive my boat.....
Old 10-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Registered

talk to me , put some $ on it
you can e-mail me @ usedpartsgod @ gmail.com

Quick Reply: freshening a 454

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.