496HO 1/2" Oil System Plumbing Upgrade to 5/8" >

496HO 1/2" Oil System Plumbing Upgrade to 5/8"

Notices

496HO 1/2" Oil System Plumbing Upgrade to 5/8"

Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
I guess you are assuming that my engine is stock. It is not, except for the oil cooler and plumbing. It is now a bored and stroked 521ci with all forged internals, GM HP3 race engine heads ported by Jim Valako with increased diameter intake and exhaust valves, Raylar intake, Gen II HP3 race cam, high volume oil , Dana Torque Flow Vortex exhaust with #5 risers and spins 5800 rpm. Oil pressure heads south fast at any WOT runs of more than a few minutes. I need a much bigger oil cooler than the stock unit and the experts say I need a minimum of 5/8" oil line plumbing. That is the reason for my inquiry.

Thanks for the information on Henry's Engineering.
Based on what your saying, I think you may want to consider an oil pump upgrade as well. increasing the cooler capacity will help some changing the line size I don't think will gain you much since all the intenal oil passages are still the same
Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hot Stepper
Based on what your saying, I think you may want to consider an oil pump upgrade as well. increasing the cooler capacity will help some changing the line size I don't think will gain you much since all the intenal oil passages are still the same
Thanks Hot Stepper. I am already running a high volume oil pump. If the 496 block internal oil passageways are 1/2" I guess I am screwed. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously a different engine but did you have to change the oil adapter (if your engine ever had one) to provide the appropriate -12 connection point?
I assume you mean the adapter for use of a remote oil filter mount? GM ZZ502 block is the same as the Merc 502/415 block. So yes, block adapter was/is changed to accomodate -12s.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GoCiggie31
I am running a very heavy deep v so at wot before I changed to -12, my oil temp was 40* higher. 4-my application, it was well worth the change over.
check out below site-good info

http://forums.boatfreaks.org/showthread.php?t=11055
Hey Go Ciggie, great thread on Boat Freaks. Thanks. I am wishing I knew all this when I had the block down bare. I could have done some improvements on the oil passageways then. Too late for that now. I am sure I will have more questions soon.

Bill
Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Kidnova
Gotta love stevesxms' subtle way of putting things LOL. But, I think he makes a good point. If your engine is stock I don't think you need the upgrade, unless maybe you run the bajeebers out of it. I'd say put an oil temp gauge on the engine and monitor oil temps. If your lines and or cooler are inadequate, the gauge will let you know.

I turned my 502 (ZZ502/502) into a 557 and replaced the stock Merc lines with all -12. More HP = more heat, and the change was necessary. But as stevesxm said so elequently you're probably spending $$ you don't need to spend......... JMHO

I'll see if I can stick a pic of the -12s here
Nice Engine!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Kidnova
I assume you mean the adapter for use of a remote oil filter mount? GM ZZ502 block is the same as the Merc 502/415 block. So yes, block adapter was/is changed to accomodate -12s.
Kidnova, that is correct. It is the remote oil filter adapter that mounts on the block (where the oil filter usually resides in an automotive application) and to which the remote oil filter hoses hook up to that I am interested in. In my case for a 496 (not a 502/454) block. I also have no idea if the 502/454 oil filter adapter will work on a 496 block which is unique in many respects. Where does one get oil filter adapters with different size hose connection capability for a 496?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 AM
Registered

I guess you are assuming that my engine is stock. It is not, except for the oil cooler and plumbing. It is now a bored and stroked 521ci with all forged internals, GM HP3 race engine heads ported by Jim Valako with increased diameter intake and exhaust valves, Raylar intake, Gen II HP3 race cam, high volume oil , Dana Torque Flow Vortex exhaust with #5 risers and spins 5800 rpm. Oil pressure heads south fast at any WOT runs of more than a few minutes. I need a much bigger oil cooler than the stock unit and the experts say I need a minimum of 5/8" oil line plumbing. That is the reason for my inquiry.

Thanks for the information on Henry's Engineering.
there is nothing in your list of components that suggests your motor is unique. all thats required is a correctly sized oil cooler for the thermal load. a -10 line has a flow rate at 60 psi of roughly double what a typical hi volume pump will /can produce at 5800. your line size at 1/2 " is not restrictive and is not contributing to your issue in any way.

but of course you knew that.

or should have.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by stevesxm
there is nothing in your list of components that suggests your motor is unique. all thats required is a correctly sized oil cooler for the thermal load. a -10 line has a flow rate at 60 psi of roughly double what a typical hi volume pump will /can produce at 5800. your line size at 1/2 " is not restrictive and is not contributing to your issue in any way.

but of course you knew that.

or should have.
Stevesxm, it would be the latter. I should have known. So when is it beneficial/needed to increase to -10 , -12 oil lines that seemingly everyone is doing/promoting.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I redid my engines, I went to -10 lines and fittings. For those that don't know, -8 lines are 1/2 id, -10 lines are 5/8 id. Most oil coolers and thermostats use 1/2 npt threads. If you use a 1/2 npt to -10 fitting, it has a much larger id than a 1/2 npt to -8 fitting. So common oil coolers and thermostats and adapters will work very well with -10 lines.

Stevexm' s advice flies in the face of what most engine builders say. Long hosees running between block adapter, oil cooler, oil filter and back to the block, through many fittings will create resistance to oil flow. For the small amount of money it costs, I would prefer to have the larger hoses.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Required reading http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-hardware.html

Quick Reply: 496HO 1/2" Oil System Plumbing Upgrade to 5/8"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.