zr1 motor in a boat >

zr1 motor in a boat

Notices

zr1 motor in a boat

Old 12-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
This thread is reminiscent of the pre 496(8.1) launch. Doubters and naysayers on this very forum declared the 496 too complex, too weak parts, smaller bore diminishes airflow, buy your 502 mag while you still can, etc.,etc. Guess what? The 496 has proven itself to be a durable performer. The supercharged LSX will be engineered by GM with greater durability than any of the Merc HP packages, you can count on this. Adding pressure to a motor with existing technology in the aftermarket is a far cry from an as designed, team developed package that would eminate from a major automaker. Sure, someone like Ray or Bob Teague can make you a nice low volume motor, but the 2 of them put together couldn't even supply one decent sized boat builder. A custom design philosophy is left for those who can apprecite (and afford) it. Again, if this motor is released, it will have GREAT durability. This motor is now a better fit for GM as the economy of scale is rendering the 496 obselete(in the production sense). Take Care, Dave

Well, seven years later after the 496 was released and I'd still rather have a 502 415hp mag.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Well, seven years later after the 496 was released and I'd still rather have a 502 415hp mag.
If for no other reason I prefer the 496 due to the closed cooling. It has been a very good motor to me.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bor
tried several times to contact raylar by e mail,pm or phone but no response ,so the market is flat but if you don t answer to people who are interested in the products it stay flat,if you don t want to sell overseas just say so ,

sorry I am a little disapointed , hope there s a reason for this issue.
That surprises me. Be sure to call him between 9 & 5 PST. If my phone call missed him, he would return my call the same day.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

http://www.kemequipment.com/superchargedvortec6000.html

Supercharged 6.0 504hp marine engine by kodiak. Looks like they also have a supercharged 383
Attached Thumbnails zr1 motor in a boat-6.0sc-large-.jpg  

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 12-10-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Looks can be decieving?

Nice looking package by KME, but you should ask to see the horspower and torque printout??
Curious what the pricetag and warranty are?
I dont see any closed cooling so this looks like a chancy proposition in all but the purest lake water??
On that type of a centrifical supercharger the boost is usually late on starting in the rpm band up around 4500 rpms or so. With only 6.0 liters I suspect that this engine will only produce about 350 ft/lbs of torque around 3500-4000rpms where most cruising rpms occur, UNLESS its already in BOOST and there goes engine life at cruise rpms!!
I also don't see an intercooler on this package and supercharging without an intercooler on a marine high performance engine is just shy of playing RUSSIAN ROULETTE with THREE bullets in the chamber!!
Not here to pick there offering apart, just want you guys to carefully realize that there are a lot of factors at play here when you try and get small cubic inch engines to perform like big cubic inch engines!! There is no free LUNCH!

Raylar thinks it's LSM550 big cubic inch 434 small block -naturally aspirated is the obvious answer! but heck I am biased! and What the heck do I know?

Best Rgards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Nice looking package by KME, but you should ask to see the horspower and torque printout??
Curious what the pricetag and warranty are?
I dont see any closed cooling so this looks like a chancy proposition in all but the purest lake water??
On that type of a centrifical supercharger the boost is usually late on starting in the rpm band up around 4500 rpms or so. With only 6.0 liters I suspect that this engine will only produce about 350 ft/lbs of torque around 3500-4000rpms where most cruising rpms occur, UNLESS its already in BOOST and there goes engine life at cruise rpms!!
I also don't see an intercooler on this package and supercharging without an intercooler on a marine high performance engine is just shy of playing RUSSIAN ROULETTE with THREE bullets in the chamber!!
Not here to pick there offering apart, just want you guys to carefully realize that there are a lot of factors at play here when you try and get small cubic inch engines to perform like big cubic inch engines!! There is no free LUNCH!

Raylar thinks it's LSM550 big cubic inch 434 small block -naturally aspirated is the obvious answer! but heck I am biased! and What the heck do I know?

Best Rgards,
Ray @ Raylar
Hey Ray, nice to see you here in the forums. Would you please return my phone call? I left a message Tuesday & Thursday this week. I need to discuss the shipment of my Raylar intake manifold.

714-263-2626 x27

Thanks,

Devin Wozencraft
www.wozencraftinsurance.com
Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does come with closed cooling standard, it's just inside the stb manifold. There is also an intercooled option. We dyno'd one last year after redoing the top end. The biggest problem with that package is the base tune from the factory is not very good with a stern drive. A jet has a way different power curve then a stern drive. It was very smooth and sounds great but in the boat it gives you about the same performance as a healthy 454... I'll dig up the dyno sheet and post it, or if anyone is calling KEM talk to Carl in service. He's about the only one that knows anything there.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I found on another tread the price tag would be $ 20000 !!
I would spend a little more and go for the lsm 550 ,more hp ,lightweight,closed cooling and lots of R&D behind it .
Old 12-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
http://www.kemequipment.com/superchargedvortec6000.html

Supercharged 6.0 504hp marine engine by kodiak. Looks like they also have a supercharged 383
I wonder what octane fuel is required. Couldn't find it on their website. IMO the fuel requirement is a killer varible for most buyers, but maybe not(?). I keep my boat at a marina on a lift almost all season and only 89 octane is available. +1 for for the N/A LSM-550.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There will be boats on the water very soon with the LS9 in them.
They make 650+ hp in the maranized "racing" form.

Quick Reply: zr1 motor in a boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.