Drive Temperature Sensor

Notices

Drive Temperature Sensor

Old 12-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I hope that was a little informative read, I've been meaning to get back and see if there was any updates for this year.
It was informative to the degree it flads the fact that one should be aware that the drive oils can get hot with enough hp but is very limited on details as to drive type vs hp vs oil temperature vs drive shower type vs oil cooling performance. Hopefully such info is out there and will show up on this thread or others eventually.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

I believe that the best thing to take away from that thread and reading gages in general is: You know the temps and pressures that your stuff runs at during your normal operations; Idle, Cruise, and Beating the s#it out of it. If something is all of a sudden different it gives you an opurtunity to shut down before a little issue becomes a serious issue.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Registered

We Have run drive temp guages on a fiew boats on stock power 160 to 220 ,on big power 140 to over 300 but it saved drives ,pull out at 270 and they hold up pretty good .livorsy told me they are not made anymore I found one in texas to replace a bad one ,the pick up is veary fradgle and get damaged when the gears break .
Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do the drive oil temperature sensors fit in the Bravo's upper vent/fill plug or is it necessary to drill and tap a seperate hole for the temp sensor?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I called Gaffrig also. They stopped carrying the drive oil temp sensors that screw into the bravo oil fill/vent plug hole.

Do you know of anyone/anywhere that still has the oil temp sensor for the Bravo drive?

Originally Posted by eastsideoffshore
We Have run drive temp guages on a fiew boats on stock power 160 to 220 ,on big power 140 to over 300 but it saved drives ,pull out at 270 and they hold up pretty good .livorsy told me they are not made anymore I found one in texas to replace a bad one ,the pick up is veary fradgle and get damaged when the gears break .
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Not to over simplify this. ( I might be looking at this all wrong) Couldn't you just get a 340* oil temp gauge and a 1/8 npt sendor, tap the upper vent hole, put the sendor in, run the sendor wire and a ground through the transom to the gauge???
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Absolutely. I inquired about this approach with Livorsi. The potential problem is that of surviveability or lack thereof. The drive oil sensor cable kit was a heavily armored design for the environment at the external drive/transum area. See attached picture of the kit. The engine oil sensor is designed for the protected engine environment including exposed electrical terminations. Life expectancy and reading reliability of the engine oil sensor approach could be a problem over time. One could do their best to seal it up and armor it better.
This approach could still work very well for temporary installations to evaluate drive temperature versus operating conditions and test drive shower performance baselines.

I was first considering re-threading the oil sensor to mate with the drive vent threads and gasket surface if the sensor had sufficient metal available which I had not yet confirmed.

Originally Posted by Rookie
Not to over simplify this. ( I might be looking at this all wrong) Couldn't you just get a 340* oil temp gauge and a 1/8 npt sendor, tap the upper vent hole, put the sendor in, run the sendor wire and a ground through the transom to the gauge???
Attached Thumbnails Drive Temperature Sensor-drive-temp-gage.jpg  
Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

With a little help from a friend I learned that the fill / vent plug threads for the Bravo Drive are 3/8-16 which are tapped using a 8mm drill or 0.3149" dia. The Livorsi GSOT1/8 oil temp sensor is 0.321" dia. That is 0.006" diameter interference or 0.003" thickness/side so the probe should fit...tight but wit a little emery paper just right. The threaded shank of that sensor (1/8 NPTM) has a 0.25" unthreaded length and a 0.375 hex head height part of which could be machined away to provide the needed thread length. The only problem is that the 3/8-16 external threads root diameter is 0.2983" dia which would cut into the sensor probe by 0.0229" on the diameter or 0.0115" debth /thickness. I do not know what the sensor probe wall thickness is so that remains the question as to if it will work.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well as far as Gaffrig and Livorsi is concerned they no longer offer the noted sensor cable system. The individual (a one man operation) that used to make them and supplied both has gone on to his reward. So you have no competition that I can find.

Originally Posted by Elite Marine
Something on the horizon guys...patience!!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Sensor...

It is forthcoming, prototype has come and a revised report has gone back to the manufacturer. A new prototype is due back post haste. Keep watching this post if you're interested in this product.

Quick Reply: Drive Temperature Sensor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.