Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
More hp out of a 500hp >

More hp out of a 500hp

Notices

More hp out of a 500hp

Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

In that post, afr's referred to air/fuel ratio, not afr heads. Sorry for any confusion. And yes, I have used some AFR heads and was pleased with the performance. There are a few minor things I wasn't happy with though. Not a big deal.
Eddie
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
In that post, afr's referred to air/fuel ratio, not afr heads. Sorry for any confusion. And yes, I have used some AFR heads and was pleased with the performance. There are a few minor things I wasn't happy with though. Not a big deal.
Eddie
Eddie,
A big DUH on my part! Do you mind telling me What you didn't like about the AFR heads?

Are you going to the PRI show this weekend in Orlando? I think I might go Sat Morning with John Cosker from Mystic power boats and this Crazy motor head friend of mine.
Thanks,
Dean
Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Registered

No, I can't make the show. I will be in Vegas this weekend for a little R and R.
The biggest thing I didn't like was that there aren't any openings in the head that lead to the lifter valley. The only openings are the oil drain holes on the ends of the head. That's another thing, the oil drain holes are way to small. I spent a bunch of time opening the holes and opening a path for the oil to flow out of the head. I run a bunch of oil pressure, so there is a lot of oil going to the top end. I need to get that oil out of there and back into the pan as quick as possible. I open the holes in any set of heads, but none are close to as small and obstructed as the AFR's.
Eddie
Old 12-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
No, I can't make the show. I will be in Vegas this weekend for a little R and R.
The biggest thing I didn't like was that there aren't any openings in the head that lead to the lifter valley. The only openings are the oil drain holes on the ends of the head. That's another thing, the oil drain holes are way to small. I spent a bunch of time opening the holes and opening a path for the oil to flow out of the head. I run a bunch of oil pressure, so there is a lot of oil going to the top end. I need to get that oil out of there and back into the pan as quick as possible. I open the holes in any set of heads, but none are close to as small and obstructed as the AFR's.
Eddie
Eddie I am running a pair of 500 hp with a roller set up and slightly bigger cam. Engines have stock heads and are suppose to be 550hp. the motors are from Fonz in New Jersey, Do you think I would benefit from Dart Pro 1 heads and if so how much? I am trying to sneak some extra power out. The motors are in my Cig Cafe Racer and with the labbed props I have seen speeds at 78,6-78.9 and would like to get it to 80mph if possible, I am so close I feel i have to at least try.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:38 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ubet28
I have a 500hp carbed, i just had the whole thing pulled apart its been honed and cleaned and i bought the 741 cam to put back with new lifters.

I was wondering what would need to be done to 650 to 750 hp out of the motor if i can i see 650 with out blower i would go that route if i have to add blower want 700 to 750.

Also with the blower which is the best candidate for the price and the best one for the motor!blower shop pro charger Whipple what? I am not sure what would be the best route to go. Thanks for looking jeramy
My 500's where pulled out this week, they will be 650's this spring, brodix heads, new rotating assembly, new everything, hydrolic 555CID's by Smith Power, cant wait!

Last edited by LV; 12-10-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4195
Eddie I am running a pair of 500 hp with a roller set up and slightly bigger cam. Engines have stock heads and are suppose to be 550hp. the motors are from Fonz in New Jersey, Do you think I would benefit from Dart Pro 1 heads and if so how much? I am trying to sneak some extra power out. The motors are in my Cig Cafe Racer and with the labbed props I have seen speeds at 78,6-78.9 and would like to get it to 80mph if possible, I am so close I feel i have to at least try.
They will absolutely benefit from the aluminum heads as long as you increase the compression. They will benefit a little from it being just a better all around head, but the biggest gains will come from the compression increase. It all depends on what was done to the engines. Are the bottom ends completely stock or have they been rebuilt? If they are stock, you will have a hard time getting all of the compression that you can because the piston is so far in the hole. You would have to get the smallest combustion chamber you could and run a thin head gasket....like a .027 from Cometic.
In order to get to 80, you would only need about 30 more hp. That's easy. With a good set of heads, you should be able to break 600 without a sweat. Let me know if I can help.
Eddie
Old 03-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Well,
i started collecting my parts today for HP500 upgrade project, with a purchase of 2 sets of new KE headers

Quick Reply: More hp out of a 500hp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.