575sci Blower Question....

Notices

575sci Blower Question....

Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
Are they original from Mercury? If so, what year are your engines? We looked at replacements, as you said, Weiand makes a direct replacement. The concern is they are aluminum and will corrode faster than the cast iron ones did. I called a company in Connecticut, who I use to ceramic coat things. I have had them do a few intake manifolds for me in the past. Mostly, I had the coating put on for asthetics. Anyway, they claimed they have ceramic coated aluminum intake water crossovers, strictly for corrosion protection. They claim the process yields successful results. In case the intakes are deemed unrepairable, we may go for new Weiand aluminums and have them coated.

Anyone ever try this?
Mine are 2002's.....never been apart.

They look aluminum ( on the underside), feel aluminum.... and a magnet wont stick to them.

I know merc use to coat the cooling passage with
a bronze coating on engines with aluminum intake manifolds,
I don't know if they're still using that process.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JayTee,

I didnt do the magnet test. The manifolds are too heavy to be aluminum. When I cleaned the gasket surfaces with my air operated cookie cutter, I would have noticed it taking off metal. The gaskets were the only things coming off.
The machine shop who is doing the welding and milling said they are not cast iron, but an alloy of some sort. John talked directly to them, I am not sure of exactly what was said. My hope is that they can weld them. Sure felt like cast iron to me.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vinny P
JayTee,

I didnt do the magnet test. The manifolds are too heavy to be aluminum. When I cleaned the gasket surfaces with my air operated cookie cutter, I would have noticed it taking off metal. The gaskets were the only things coming off.
The machine shop who is doing the welding and milling said they are not cast iron, but an alloy of some sort. John talked directly to them, I am not sure of exactly what was said. My hope is that they can weld them. Sure felt like cast iron to me.
Mine is too heavy to be aluminum. If anyone needs one give me a shout.
Steve
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Registered

The ones on my 2002 575's are aluminum. They apear to be hard coat anodized. I just welded them up with 6061 rods and checking into having re-hardcoated. They only needed welding at the rear of the manifold at the water passages.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
The ones on my 2002 575's are aluminum. They apear to be hard coat anodized. I just welded them up with 6061 rods and checking into having re-hardcoated. They only needed welding at the rear of the manifold at the water passages.
My machine shop says they are indeed aluminum..... but they are either mixed with some other metal or maby it is the anodizing. They have already welded them and will be finishing them up today......... We will decide then if they are worth using or not..........
Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

So where was the problem? I just got mine and they have about 250 hrs of mostly Saltwater use. Should I be checking something? What kind of hours do yours have?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are aluminum. I too had mine welded and then powder coated water passage for corrosion protection

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 12-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Thats the heaviest aluminum I have ever picked up.. Fooled me for sure.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oklaoutlaw
So where was the problem? I just got mine and they have about 250 hrs of mostly Saltwater use. Should I be checking something? What kind of hours do yours have?
The problem is at the water passeges...it actually appears to be corroding out from under the gaskets....... I would keep a close eye on them...... my boat had 195 hrs of fresh water use when I bought it...... I put about 150hrs of salt water use with flushing after every use...... and they are showing corrosion at the water passeges...... I am not to happy with the way they look after the repair so I have to decided to go with new ones and have them coated for salt water use.... I have to much time and money invested at this point to cheap out now......
Old 12-24-2008, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

We also had corrosion on the 575's in the Cig Mystique. Merc 's prices on new intakes are rediculous. We decided to upgrade with Whipple intercooer intake manifolds.
Attached Thumbnails 575sci Blower Question....-img_0708-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 575sci Blower Question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.