genIV cam selection >

genIV cam selection

Notices

genIV cam selection

Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default genIV cam selection

I searched and didnt find the answer in the first 2 pages , although i'm sure this has been asked before

i have a GenIV 454
can i use a gen V or gen VI camshaft ?
i dont think the gen VI has a lobe for the fuel pump , but i can get around that with electric , i just dont want to have to machine the block for the lifters

as always , thanks for the help in advance
Old 12-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ENFORCER24
I searched and didnt find the answer in the first 2 pages , although i'm sure this has been asked before

i have a GenIV 454
can i use a gen V or gen VI camshaft ?
i dont think the gen VI has a lobe for the fuel pump , but i can get around that with electric , i just dont want to have to machine the block for the lifters

as always , thanks for the help in advance
NO...you cant...and you do not have a Gen IV 454. What you have is called a MK-4 (Mark-4). Naming the BBC a "GEN" started with the Gen 5.

If you are wanting to put a cam in...use a Crane #139021 and lifters...use Crane #13235-16. The lifters are listed as RETRO-FIT and you will not have to do any machining at all. Be sure that you get a thrust button for this roller cam.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have heard them being called gen IV, V, VI but anyway the gen IV and V cams interchange, but not the gen VI, Rob
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

enforcer,
I am going to differ with the rest. You can use the late model Gen VI cams in any big block. Almost all of them have the two bolt holes for the cam retainer plate. You will have to use retrofit style hydraulic roller lifters, but that is no big deal. I prefer to use the late model cams because the retainer plate does away with the hassle of a cam button and adjusting end play. You will also have to use a Gen VI timing set, but once again, no big deal.

I am almost certain that Erson offers a late model cam with a fuel pump lobe too.

If you have any questions, feel free to call or e-mail.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
enforcer,
I am going to differ with the rest. You can use the late model Gen VI cams in any big block. Almost all of them have the two bolt holes for the cam retainer plate. You will have to use retrofit style hydraulic roller lifters, but that is no big deal. I prefer to use the late model cams because the retainer plate does away with the hassle of a cam button and adjusting end play. You will also have to use a Gen VI timing set, but once again, no big deal.

I am almost certain that Erson offers a late model cam with a fuel pump lobe too.

If you have any questions, feel free to call or e-mail.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
NO...YOU ..CANT.

A MK-4 is all by itself...you CAN NOT put a Gen 5 or Gen 6 cam in a MK4 and you can NOT put a mk-4 cam in a Gen5 or Gen 6. If you dont believe me...call Crane, but you are going to give advice to someone who spends $400.00 on a cam that will not work. It doesnt matter if a Gen 6 cam has a fuel pump lobe or not...a Gen 6 block doesnt have the ptovision for the mechanical pump.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:20 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I just put a pair of Mark IV cams into a Gen VI 575SCI with no issues. Well, actually, I originally got the wrong timing chains, but have since resolved that. The use a Mark IV chains, solved it.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a gen V 454 apart right now, the solid roller cam is the same as a gen IV !! have them laying side by side ?? now the gen VI has a different front for the timing gear...
Old 12-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Registered

LMAO here at you guys...no worries...you go ahead...claim and believe whateeeeeeeeeeeeeeever you want, but when you start talking about what you have done to others that know the difference and you see them looking at you with this funny look...remember that I told you here FIRST...you are wrong.

If you go to the Crane web site and cam shop...you will also see that the MK-4 cams are all different number listings than cams for the Gen 5 or 6...and AGAIN...the early BBC'c are NOT referred to as Gen 4 motors. You really need to review your history of the BBC before you say things. You can even learn WHY GM started calling the BBC a GEN series motor instead of a MN-5 (Mark-5).

One thing tho...you guys ARE intertaining. I am waiting for you to explain how you installed a cam for a HEMI in a small block...then get a different timing gear set and all is well...this is going to be good.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PSlonaker
NO...YOU ..CANT.

A MK-4 is all by itself...you CAN NOT put a Gen 5 or Gen 6 cam in a MK4 and you can NOT put a mk-4 cam in a Gen5 or Gen 6. If you dont believe me...call Crane, but you are going to give advice to someone who spends $400.00 on a cam that will not work. It doesnt matter if a Gen 6 cam has a fuel pump lobe or not...a Gen 6 block doesnt have the ptovision for the mechanical pump.
Bill is correct, YES you can.
Get a copy of Dennis Moores book, he explains every detail.
Same explanation as Bill K. (Who is also well known in the business!)

Or get ahold or RMBUILDER he can custom grind anything. He has done all of mine and does a great job and is worth every dime. Think outside the box, get a cam made exactly for your engine build specs.
He also can have thel cam made with a fuel pump lobe too.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 12-20-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 AM
ak
Registered

Default cam

Hey Enforcer 24,i have a great cam ,lifters,springs and pushrods for your engine for sale right now,healthy cam,mean idle,just sent back to comp for a clean up and inspection,it has about 11 hrs on it,also have the pushrods,you can have it all for $500,the lifters alone are $650,this is a roller setup,still in my engine,email me at [email protected]

Quick Reply: genIV cam selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.