Whipple or Pro Charger ? >

Whipple or Pro Charger ?

Notices

Whipple or Pro Charger ?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whipple or Pro Charger ?

Was going to buy a Whipple charger then did some more research and I have almost decided to change and get a Pro Charger. The Pros;The ;Pro Charger is half the cost, also a 3yr. Warranty vs. 1yr. and the Pro Charger is making more power at a lower rpm (765hp @5200rpm w/m-3sc @5lbs.). Overall I feel the Pro Charger is running much more efficient due to the large cooler. They claim that the reason they do not need to change the ecu is that they do not need to retard the timing because the intake charge is so cool (more than 3 times the cooling cap.). Pro Charger also claims that Whipple is retarding the timing because the intake charge is hotter and is needed for detination. Whipple is also taking thier HP reading at 5700 vs. Pro Charger at 5200. Why should I spin the engine excessivly to get the same HP?
I have a 02 29' Fountain fever single Hp500efi and because of the space available to me I feel that the Pro Charger is my best choice ; am I missing the boat ? I do not mind spending the extra money for the Whipple but do not want to if I do not need to .Yea the Whipple looks cooler...... Experts please help me make a decision. M-3SC vs. Whipple stage 1

Thanks , Chris

Last edited by elise909; 12-28-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Whipple does a much better job on EFI motors managing the fuel in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought my boat with twin 500EFI Procharged motors....M3SC at 8 PSI. They were reported to make 830hp, I talked to a shop that had set up a number of them on a dyno and claimed they would see about 790 out of that set-up....no way 5 PSI is making over 700 hp.
If you really spend the money to set each one up properly both should be reliable......this means putting the motor on a dyno and having it tuned properly....I also believe that the Procharger setup will take them longer to set up correctly.

If you just bolt this stuf on and run it.....chances are the Procharger will grenade you motor twice as fast as the Whipple (might take a few years, but will hapen faster)
Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The procharger is a more efficient blower in and of itself. Also, since the blower, intercooler, and intake manifold isn't all stuffed in on the top of the V, the intake and intercooler can also be much more efficient. The end result will be that the procharger will make more power with less boost. The compressor itself will also be more durable.

Having said that, the procharger will also not make boost as low in the rpm band. I would also hesitate to run ANY blower configuration without a recal. Any change of that magnitude really does need it. yes, it may run and make power without recaling, but it will not be optimum for power, fuel econ or engine life.

I think "some" people still run whipples and roots type blowers because they look a lot cooler. If you don't need the low end torque (the procharger will catch up around 4000rpm), and don't care that you blower looks like an A/C compressor, the procharger is the way to go
Old 12-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are limited to using a centrifical supercharger I would highly recomend the Vortech supercharger system. I have one on my 502mpi for about 100 hrs now and it has been very dependable and turnkey with no issues. I would be surprised if any system could be used without some type of ECU remaping.[/I]
Old 12-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

WHIPPLE!! Even though the procharger looks cheaper at first it will end up costing the same or more then a Whipple by the time you have it all set up, installed properly and tuned. I like prochargers and Vortech and have seen them make awesome reliable power, but there is not a more comprehensive kit then the whipple. Look at motors from Teague, Eddie Young, Merc racing.. etc. Those guys are all using screws for a reason..
Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No expert here but where do you want your power top or low to mid.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Contact Mark at percision marine He did a procharger for me and he also dyno it 8lbs boast made 820 hp great EFI motor he also does whiple he also will give ayou a deal on eighter one.

http://pmefi.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
WHIPPLE!! Even though the procharger looks cheaper at first it will end up costing the same or more then a Whipple by the time you have it all set up, installed properly and tuned. I like prochargers and Vortech and have seen them make awesome reliable power, but there is not a more comprehensive kit then the whipple. Look at motors from Teague, Eddie Young, Merc racing.. etc. Those guys are all using screws for a reason..
I have an engine built by Eddie Young and it has a procharger. I happened to already have one so he used it to save me some money. He does use whipples on engines he typically offers and they are easier to tune. They also look cool.

What these guys are saying is true. It is all in the setup. You can make great power with both. On entry level stuff you can do it cheaper with a procharger. The out of the box whipple stuff is better though. If you are building an expensive engine the price difference is not that much in the end.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whipple all the way! Procharger has a sh!tty fuel management strategy. Well it is good at melting stuff down anyway.
A custom tune is the best way to go along with a new fuel system.

Last edited by JasonSmith; 12-29-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Whipple or Pro Charger ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.