Overheating 454 Mag Bravo Gen IV >

Overheating 454 Mag Bravo Gen IV

Notices

Overheating 454 Mag Bravo Gen IV

Old 01-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Overheating 454 Mag Bravo Gen IV

Hey All - I'm hoping the collective intelligence of the readers can assist me. I have a 270 Sea Ray with a Single I/O upgraded from a Bravo 2 to a Bravo 3. It has a Mag Bravo Gen IV. The motor is Raw Water Cooled, 140 deg thermostat.

A few years ago I installed a freshly rebuilt Long Block. I replaced all hoses, belts and accessories on the engine. I rebuilt the raw water pump and upgraded to a Mallory electronic ignition. I ran the boat for 2 seasons with no issues. Last season, early on I noticed the water temp, which normally runs dead on 140 deg which I could watch creep up to 150 then drop to around 120 when the thermostat opens, creep up to 170 - 180 deg's., and never move. No matter if it was at Idle or WOT it stayed at the 170 - 180. I did my due dilligence and started with the easy stuff. Changed the thermostat, guage, sending unit, none of which affected the value. I then moved the the bigger stuff, and replaced the raw water pump. I changed from the sierra composite to a brand new Bronze housing pump. I also changed the circulating pump, inspected all the hoses, oil cooler, and back flushed the block. As a last resort, I changed the manifolds and risers ( I always wanted to upgrade to Aluminum and used this issue as an excuse). Unfortunately not one thing I did changed the now higher temperature. Using a non-contact temp guage the manifolds / risers are very cool the engine is around 165deg. and is close to the gage value. In my frustration I ended up shoring the boat for the season and found other ways to spend my time. Now that the new season is a few months away I have regained my motivation to re-look at the issue. Has anyone had any issues like this? Any thoughts on the next step? I would also like to note that I did a compression check and found 115-120 on all cylinders except 1 which read around 106-110. I'm wondering if a slight head gasket leak could cause this issue?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Eric
Old 01-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by downtime270
Hey All - I'm hoping the collective intelligence of the readers can assist me. I have a 270 Sea Ray with a Single I/O upgraded from a Bravo 2 to a Bravo 3. It has a Mag Bravo Gen IV. The motor is Raw Water Cooled, 140 deg thermostat.

A few years ago I installed a freshly rebuilt Long Block. I replaced all hoses, belts and accessories on the engine. I rebuilt the raw water pump and upgraded to a Mallory electronic ignition. I ran the boat for 2 seasons with no issues. Last season, early on I noticed the water temp, which normally runs dead on 140 deg which I could watch creep up to 150 then drop to around 120 when the thermostat opens, creep up to 170 - 180 deg's., and never move. No matter if it was at Idle or WOT it stayed at the 170 - 180. I did my due dilligence and started with the easy stuff. Changed the thermostat, guage, sending unit, none of which affected the value. I then moved the the bigger stuff, and replaced the raw water pump. I changed from the sierra composite to a brand new Bronze housing pump. I also changed the circulating pump, inspected all the hoses, oil cooler, and back flushed the block. As a last resort, I changed the manifolds and risers ( I always wanted to upgrade to Aluminum and used this issue as an excuse). Unfortunately not one thing I did changed the now higher temperature. Using a non-contact temp guage the manifolds / risers are very cool the engine is around 165deg. and is close to the gage value. In my frustration I ended up shoring the boat for the season and found other ways to spend my time. Now that the new season is a few months away I have regained my motivation to re-look at the issue. Has anyone had any issues like this? Any thoughts on the next step? I would also like to note that I did a compression check and found 115-120 on all cylinders except 1 which read around 106-110. I'm wondering if a slight head gasket leak could cause this issue?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Eric
I just pulled apart the same motor/problem and found a cracked head. #4 combustion chamber from the intake valve to the sparkplug
Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Registered

Pressure test the cooling system.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered

How did you diagnose the cracked head?

How do you suggest I pressure test the cooling system? I have done it on cars with radiator caps, but what about the bypass to the manifolds? Won't this just pass the pressure through?

Is there a pressure test kit I can buy?

Also - I attempted to leak test the cylinder with low compression but I couldn't hold the engine from turning? Any suggestions to lock the crank to keep it from turning?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Eric
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

the leakdown test will require a big wrench (in my work we have a 6' or 7' long prop to hold). in a boat use a breaker bar I would assume. I just ripped them apart and inspected.. saw it as soon as I looked
I wanna know about cams HE HE
be safe
Bobbo
Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Registered

Pressure test isn't too hard but your right, you will need to close off the hoses going to the exhaust. You can loop the hoses back into the water neck to seal them off.
Disconnect hose at the cooler and make up a fitting for your radiator test pump/gauge.
Did you ever run without a T/stat for kicks? Another thing if your exhaust is cold could you be bypassing the block somewhat?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Remove the intake water hose that connects at the transom and check to see that the pipe going thrue the transom is open.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

One would think; if you had a cracked head or bad head gasket, you would have water in the oil or on a spark plug.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

Default One more thing to look at

and those that know me will say I mention this alot - but it's often overlooked and has been the case of trouble for numerous boats I've worked on over the past couple of years ...

Take the hose off at the transom that feeds the raw water pump and make sure you don't have a blockage at the transom end...

In many cases the corrosion around the hose will push in and eventually collapse the inner fitting that holds the hose in place. If you can't get your pinky inside - you have a problem. On some boats you can fix it with the engine in - but some there just isn't the room to do the work. I have a 382 Formula lined up right now that we're pulling both motors to fix the stbd which overheats and also knock out the port motor while we're in there.

The other option is to install a thru hull pickup..... if you find a blockage....

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by offshore2
One would think; if you had a cracked head or bad head gasket, you would have water in the oil or on a spark plug.

I saw neither, just high water temp

Quick Reply: Overheating 454 Mag Bravo Gen IV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.