500 hp questions >

500 hp questions

Notices

500 hp questions

Old 01-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
If you're less than 10% then you could just do head gaskets. I don't think you will be able to get the cams out without pulling the engines or at least lifting them. Pulling the heads in the boat would suck.

Personally, I would just pull the engines even if you only do the top ends. It is much easier than messing around in the bilge and climbing and reaching. It will be less work in the long run.

I did a top end refresh on my 24 Outlaw with the engine in the boat. The entire back seat comes out and there is no bulkhead and it still sucked. Boat got dirty and its real hard on your back bending and twisting.

When I did the Pantera, I had the engine pulled. It was much easier with no sore back and no dirty boat.
Yea when i did the springs in the boat i know what you mean, but if i pull them i will do a complete refresh and be done. thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guess what would really make a big diff if you have a way to lift the engines out, without it it's a big pain, I have a slick setup and it's great...but before had to make a trip to a friends shop..who just went out of business so was forced to do my own. I would not pull the heads with out doing a valve job at this point and with those hours you should be fine...Rob
Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

lots of info here that helps me out... looking at a boat with twin 500's (2003) with 345hrs on them this weekend in TX...dealer maintained. Anyone her familiar with any TX dealers in the Houston area??? thanks for the original post rssteiny