Balancing the BOAT??????? >

Balancing the BOAT???????

Notices

Balancing the BOAT???????

Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Balance

In the end final CG is preference that is representented in a number. A well balanced boat like an airplane is a joy to operate. An improperly balanced boat or plane can kill you.

You want a boat that flies long flat and level.
Steve
Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats correct. but you trim your aircraft in flight using adjustable control surfaces... just like a boat. the weight and balance are done when its built so that the cg corresponds with the center of lift of the wing. all you have to do is be careful where you put your passengers and luggage. i suspect there are similar centers of pressure both aerodynamic and hydro dynamic on the hull at speed and that it would be really helpful to have that near the cg.

the further apart you get the two, the greater the moment arm and higher the polar moment of inertia will be when you go to turn it at speed. that will translate into a sluggish reaction time and lots of scrub and drag. and , i suppose could make the boat be less user friendly in rougher water as well...

oh well... all well known and understod in the aircraft industry but theoretical as far as these boats go because the hulls are so dissimilar... it would be interesting to know what's actually true in fact.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
In the end final CG is preference that is representented in a number. A well balanced boat like an airplane is a joy to operate. An improperly balanced boat or plane can kill you.

Steve

Simple method from a friend that raced, owned a marina, etc.

He said that the most important factor was the side to side balance, put 2 peices of electrical tape on either side, measuring so if the boat was perfectly level they will match up at the waterline.

Launch the boat and move weight as needed, now you are balanced side to side and will pick up some mph.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint

Steve
Thank you!! That is my point!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tampa38
Simple method from a friend that raced, owned a marina, etc.

He said that the most important factor was the side to side balance, put 2 peices of electrical tape on either side, measuring so if the boat was perfectly level they will match up at the waterline.

Launch the boat and move weight as needed, now you are balanced side to side and will pick up some mph.
Great idea!!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 502stang
I got some information today. I talked to Rick at Arneson. The Lateral Center of Gravity should be 25% of the length of your hull from the rear of the hull. He said the best way to determine where yours is would be to run a strap under your boat and pick up on it with an overhead crane or something like that.Just pick it up a little bit. If it falls forward. You LCG is forward of that point. If it falls back then it is AFT or that location. Then you can move stuff or ballast accordingly.
Interesting. I used 3 scales and came up with 26% Longitudinal(front to back) cg. Cool.
I'd like to post pics of my setup but this site charges extra for that, bummer.
Jeff

Last edited by hallj; 01-24-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey..
my bow likes to pop all over with minimal drive input. i've always thought that a few extra lbs in the bow...like 100... would "settle things down" (twin sbc's in a 26'er), thus really letting the drives and tabs do their job. a more level ride w/o dragging tabs must surely improve efficiency?
c
Old 01-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The 26% represents a working number to create a CG envelope. As loading and/or load locations change, the CG will move within the envelope. Therefore,variables such as a high X,heavy load,hot dry days etc. may cause the boat to have trouble getting on plane.

Therefore,is it prudent to include a forward located ballast tank in this discussion?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cat,
We have a ballast tank in our boat but don't use it often. The thought was a ballast tank in the bow would allow us to run faster overall in the bumps while using less tab. I expect there is a balance of both ballast and tabs but we never figured it out. How do you measure the results? It seems we could exceed the speed we were comfortable with using either system.
I would like to hear move from others that use a ballast tank. Is a ballast tank mostly a band aid for a poorly balanced boat?
Steve, do you race with a ballast tank?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Cat,
We have a ballast tank in our boat but don't use it often. The thought was a ballast tank in the bow would allow us to run faster overall in the bumps while using less tab. I expect there is a balance of both ballast and tabs but we never figured it out. How do you measure the results? It seems we could exceed the speed we were comfortable with using either system.
I would like to hear move from others that use a ballast tank. Is a ballast tank mostly a band aid for a poorly balanced boat?
Steve, do you race with a ballast tank?
Yes. The tank is good because you can add to overall weight. With it being forward of the CG you have to be careful of bow steer or worse. Using the tank dampens the polar movement and gives you confidence, sometimes too much! If you do stuff the tank really aggrevates the situation.

The other nice effect I feel is you can run your CG a little aft to get the acceleration and top speed but if you need to settle things down a little water in the nose really helps.
Steve

Quick Reply: Balancing the BOAT???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.