502 with EFI Cam? >

502 with EFI Cam?

Notices

502 with EFI Cam?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goebel1
Yes, he also told me about your fast wild boat says your crazy LOL. I told him I have the same boat so I guess there are two crazy boaters now. I have call Bob Madara He is doing some check on using the Injection system…he telling me it is way to small to use. I guess I will change over to a carburetion system. I thought the AFR 315 CNC heads were good heads for a 502.
Said I'm crazy uh ?!? Hmmmm. Ok, then ask him why HE was GRINNING EAR TO EAR on the day we took the Humble Little Nova out for the initial shake down run

I'm no guru. I know just about enough to be dangerous. But that said... like Bob probably told you and as liquidlounge mentioned above, your current EFI Won't let you get the full potential of the AFR 315's and better cam. Your current EFI will choke the engine out. You need more.

As far as going from EFI to carb, personally I like a carb engine. EFI may be, or seem more user friendly. But the problem is (to me anyways) with EFI you're at the mercy of only a few genuinely good EFI people/companies. A carb is more easily tuned/adjusted and if you run into a problem, there's generally no need to ship it off to Arizona or wherever. That's JMHO

The carb on my engine is a 1050 Dominator. But that would be too much carb for your 502. If you decide to go carb check with Bob. My guess would be a Holley 850 but it depends on what RPM you decide to max out/prop the engine for.

Bill

Last edited by Kidnova; 02-12-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

It sounds like you plan on doing this swap without re-programing your efi,just swapping to the afr heads that flow approx 30% better than your stock heads is going to require you re-tune your ecm. Be very careful in what exhaust you pick,my 540 reverted water with the afr 315's and lightning headers with a cam that wasn't really that big,Smitty