TB IV ignition

Notices

TB IV ignition

Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB IV ignition

last summer I got my twin 502's rebuild project back on the water, everything feels 80-100hp better but cant make any more rpm (4700) than previously, thought I would be shopping for bigger props. looking at posts on tbIV read where the module must be grounded besides the ground wire coming from plug- I had drilled my module off plate and didnt have it mounted just ty-wrapped in wire bundle could this possibly cause me to have no ignition advance hence my expected rpm increase is non-existant Thanks Randy
Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Tbolt module was bolted to the distributor. Some are bolted to to the exhaust manifold. I believe that "bolting" the module bracket is necessary for grounding, but can not swear to that.

Also, are you sure it's a Tbolt IV and not a V? The Tbolt V has a built in rev limiter set at around 4700 RPMs. The IV has no rev limiter.

I'm sure someone with more know how will chime in on this.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes its a IV 1991 502 mag carb no rev limiter was bolted to manifold before I changed exhaust and re-located it
Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have the engines dyno'd or are you giving an educated guess as to the increase in hp after the rebuild? Dynoing an engine before dropping it in the boat can be a real plus as you get to semi tune it before hand.

I don't know how far you've gone as far as chasing the gremlin, but the issue may or may not be Tbolt and or ignition related. Could be fuel related (not enough pressure/volume) or mechanical, ie parts used in the rebuild. I'm no guru, and just shooting from the hip. If you post more info regarding the build I'm sure one of the more learned ones here will be able to help out.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Tbolt IV has no limiter.

Put a timing light on it and see if the timing is advancing.

I have mine bolted to the back of the cylinder head to get it out of sight.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Registered

mine is mounted to the distributer and i have a 1993 502 mag dont know if it is V or IV but id dosent have a limit. i have had the prop cavitate and get to 5400 or so.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks for the input guys I will be checking in about 2 months or so when winter lets go, just doing the winter thinking and wanted to see if anyone had had this issue or knew for sure if that grounding would cause my issue. will be going thru the steps in the spring if thats not it to find my estimated hp increase with no top end gains Randy
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I can tell you that when my case/bracket wasn't grounded that I didn't get enough spark to even fire the engine. I don't know if a weak ground would give enough spark, but not allow the module to advance.

Like was said by Jim, put a timing light on it and set to 34* total at 3700rpm. That should be about 10* base timing.

What was all done to the engine to add hp????

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
mine is mounted to the distributer and i have a 1993 502 mag dont know if it is V or IV but id dosent have a limit. i have had the prop cavitate and get to 5400 or so.
Its a TB IV.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It ran fine I set up idle, timing 8 initilal and did plug checks at 3600 for a cruise all looked good got some time on it felt much stronger than before but when I went for wot couple tries wouldnt break 4700. I totally went thru both eng heads bowl blended valves new ss and inconel spriings etc for comp xm284hr, roller rockers, orig bores stock pistons blocks decked aligned etc,stayed with original intake with holley 800's and did 496 take-off exhaust manifolds. was just glad to be back in the water so ran what summer had left now doing the winter thinking. I do know my props have too much stern lift- with the added weight removed with alum exhaust may be big culprit also. I cant raise bow, but I thought I added enough hp to see a difference and will have to get it sorted out this spring thanks Randy
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Registered

I'll guess not enough fuel.

Quick Reply: TB IV ignition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.