Engine Coupler >

Engine Coupler

Notices

Engine Coupler

Old 03-18-2002, 04:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Coupler

Hey Guys: I have a SBC that I pulled this weekend and noticed that the coupler had grease inside along the part that faces the flywheel. It came from the center part no doubt. Its clear from the pattern of it. My Questions are this.....Is this normal? Should I buy a new one and if so do I have any choices as to a heavy-duty unit or anything? How much am I looking at for the coupler Im doing the labor my self except for the alignment and outdrive rebuild. Also the coupler is triangle shaped and on each corner has a hole. In one of these was a rubber plug of some sort in the outher two holes the plugs were missing. What are these for and can I replace them. The original engine is a 86 model with one piece main and the new engine will be a 89 roller block still using my Gen I Alpha. The old engine was getting a little tired but ran pretty good. No real problems with the outdrive either.....
Any advice would be appreciated.....

"Bad-Habit"
86 F3LS
Old 03-18-2002, 07:31 AM
Banned

You might want to check the thread "What was it" posted below. I burned a coupler this weekend and was asking questions about it.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:10 AM
Registered

F3LS, replace the coupler, buy it from a Merc Dealer. If you dont have one, Mine will give great discounts and ship anywhere. As far as the grease thats OK it doesnt affect the coupler. the grease is needed for the yoke shaft on the drive to move in and out when you trim the drive. It cost around $100. and is well worth doing. The new ones have a grease fitting in them. Also when you put the engine back in the boat be sure to take the time to realign it. I believe thats what went wrong in the other post that was refered to. He smoked his coupler and it was fairly new. Good Luck, Mark B.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Engine Coupler

Originally posted by F3LS
Hey Guys: I have a SBC that I pulled this weekend and noticed that the coupler had grease inside along the part that faces the flywheel. It came from the center part no doubt. Its clear from the pattern of it. My Questions are this.....Is this normal? Should I buy a new one and if so do I have any choices as to a heavy-duty unit or anything? How much am I looking at for the coupler Im doing the labor my self except for the alignment and outdrive rebuild. Also the coupler is triangle shaped and on each corner has a hole. In one of these was a rubber plug of some sort in the outher two holes the plugs were missing. What are these for and can I replace them. The original engine is a 86 model with one piece main and the new engine will be a 89 roller block still using my Gen I Alpha. The old engine was getting a little tired but ran pretty good. No real problems with the outdrive either.....
Any advice would be appreciated.....

"Bad-Habit"
86 F3LS
Well....Found out that the rubber plugs are needed...They will cause vibration if they are missing. I understand though that this is somewhat common after several years. Also found out that I can use a bravo coupler which IS stronger and will work with my Alpha. The problem is that the bellhousing must be the late model style with at least a 8" opening for the bravo coupler. I will have to check mine tommorow to see if it has enough space. The alpha coupler I found for $145 and a Hi-performance bravo model for $250. Just thought I'd let everyone know......
"Bad-Habit"
86-F3LS
Old 03-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Registered

Can you email or post where you are going to get the coupler for the bravo, and the price too. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:27 AM
Registered

Originally posted by 220EagleXp
Can you email or post where you are going to get the coupler for the bravo, and the price too. Thanks.
The Alpha coupler for $145 was from BAM marine and the $250 Bravo Coupler was from CP Performance

Bad-Habit
86F3LS
Old 03-19-2002, 08:42 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I'd sell my used Bravo coupler for $125 + shipping.

Last edited by Cord; 03-19-2002 at 08:45 AM.