Notices

Mobil 1

Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1

http://www.mobil1.co.nz/museum/index.aspx

Forty years ago, researchers at Mobil faced a daunting challenge from the U.S. military. As planes returned to their aircraft carriers, cold in-flight temperatures froze the wheel-bearing grease in the landing gear, leading to bearing failure. Mobil devised a way of synthesizing grease that retained its lubricating characteristics over a wider range of temperatures than was possible with mineral based grease.

In the late 1960s, Mobil developed synthetic engine oil that lubricated diesels powering oil rigs in Alaska at temperatures as low as -40C. Mobil discovered that the innovative synthetic oils delivered advantages in every engine aspect: long term durability, fuel consumption, increased power, enhanced lubrication over wide temperature ranges and engine cleanliness.

In 1974, Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil was born. Originally released to safely enhance fuel-efficiency, later formulations aimed to provide protection over the widest range of temperatures. Another improved engine wear protection and lowered phosphorus levels for extended catalytic converter life. Mobil 1 was reformulated in 2002 to contain the SuperSyn Anti-Wear System. Mobil 1 has been at the forefront of automotive lubricants technology for over 30 years.

ExxonMobil's ongoing involvement in Formula One Racing has presented unique opportunities to develop and test products under extreme conditions, the benefits of which can also be seen today in Mobil's on and off-track products.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am confused.............late 60's Mobil developed synthetic engine oils. Amsoil says they are the first in synthetics, they started in 1972.

Who's not telling the truth?

Ken
Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Germans developed synthetics during WWII. This was due to the bombing of the oil supplys. They could never produce enough to impact the war. Much of this technology was brought to the US after the war.

Darrell.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Registered

The story of Amsoil is supposedly the founder worked in an aircraft plant, or possibly an oil manufacturing facility where they used or produced synthetic oil for airplanes. He lived up north and had trouble starting his car during the cold winters. He brought some of the aircraft oil home and tried it in his car with great results. He was supposedly the 1st person to use synthetic oil in his personal civilian vehicle. He then started producing it to sell to people for use in their cars due to its superiority over conventional motor oil. I don't think they claim to be the inventors of fully synthetic oil.

I don't know who was 1st to make the fully synthetic oil for personal automobile use, but I use Amsoil in my race motors with fantastic results! It really works great.

I use Mobil 1 in my trucks and boat because it is cheaper and probably works every bit as well.

Disclaimer:
Understand that I vaguely remember the story, and do not sell oil. Most of this is probably incorrect, as I do not really know the history of either companies. But it sure sounds like I do and have just raised my post score by 1.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Registered

Amsoil makes a fine oil. Hatco actually developed the first API synthetic oil for Amsoil. Amsoil is just a blender, they do not make any additives or base oils.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

It is my understanding (and I may be mistaken) that Amsoil uses mobil 1 base stock and blends in its additive package.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DMOORE
The Germans developed synthetics during WWII. This was due to the bombing of the oil supplys. They could never produce enough to impact the war. Much of this technology was brought to the US after the war.

Darrell.
I agree...My father was a BMW mechanic in WWII working in airplane engine repair and when they came up with that stuff the engines burned less oil and lasted longer.