496 Mag HO to Merc 525 EFI

Notices

496 Mag HO to Merc 525 EFI

Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue242
Dimwit

The 496 is already a marine spec engine. The marine cam and CMI exhaust are readily available all over the place. Compared to the cost of a new Merc Racing motor, The HP3 motor from GM is rated at 525 HP, built to marine specs by Innovation marine, and costs quite a lot less for the same 525HP you get from the Merc motor..

Under your rock, it must surely seem so difficult to swap the cam in the 496 HO for the cam used in the HP3 if it has the same other parts.. Maybe as you live under a rock, you believe all the marketing hype you hear, and read in magazines.. Comp, Crane, and several others already make a cam for the 8100 Vortec motor, and for $300 anyone can have the same cam as an HP3 motor.. As I don't live under a rock, I can clearly see otherwise.

Hey, even Ray @ Raylar told this guy that a Raylayr 525 HP motor costs less than the Merc motor...

Now, if GM/Innovation Marine can build a 496 motor with off the shelf parts and produce 525HP with steel heads, and low tech parts, and that can be had with a warranty, then I have to ask why spend the extra money to rebuild the entire engine from Raylar...

Ray, I have nothing against you, just asking a simple question as you compared your stuff to Merc., I am comparing your stuff to GM/Innovation.
Whatever dude. I base my comments on my experience with products not just reading engine specs. Now go back to trying to sink your boat and remember, you need water in your headers or it will catch on fire. That is why we pay so much for those pretty polished water jacketed headers that you have cooked to a crispy bronz color. And no running some sort of Frankenstein looking EFI system won't make it look any better.

To the others, Einstein here threw a couple of nasty slams at me a while back so I could not help call BS on his silly statements.

I guess that I should have kept quiet since he continues to expose his ignorance. I just did not want him to blow someone else's stuff up too.

Just for the record, I know that you can easily get the same 540 hp that Merc gets out of the 525 for less money. But there is more to it than a simple cam swap.

Last edited by ZXXX Donzi; 03-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
Whatever dude. I base my comments on my experience with products not just reading engine specs. Now go back to trying to sink your boat and remember, you need water in your headers or it will catch on fire. That is why we pay so much for those pretty polished water jacketed headers that you have cooked to a crispy bronz color. And no running some sort of Frankenstein looking EFI system won't make it look any better.

To the others, Einstein here threw a couple of nasty slams at me a while back so I could not help call BS on his silly statements.

I guess that I should have kept quiet since he continues to expose his ignorance. I just did not want him to blow someone else's stuff up too.

Just for the record, I know that you can easily get the same 540 hp that Merc gets out of the 525 for less money. But there is more to it than a simple cam swap.

What's a cam?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

ZXXX Donzi, you got it right. I pulled my 496 HO and am currently putting a 525 EFI in my 22 Classic. It is all about the durability of the internals, the CNC'd block the h-beam rods, forged pistons, merc designed aluminum heads, cometic head gaskets etc. It is about durability as much as horsepower.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Who are Those Guys!

Any stock 496 can be made as durable, reliable and easily more powerful than a Mercury HP525.
Don't get me wrong, the Mercury Racing HP525 hand built 502 is an awesome package and for any of you who choose that package, its a great choice! , but so is a handbuilt Raylar HO 525 or HO600 and they can run with the best HP525 all day long for a lot less money!
Lets make sure we compare apples to apples when we compare stock Mercruiser modified 496's to Mercury Racing handbuilt HP525'S.
Raylar hand built 496's provide an alternate choice for those who wish to investigate their options. I am glad we are here to provide some competition to Mercury and hopefully market forces will help keep the cost of engines within reason for all users. Competition is GOOD!
Raylar is still a feisty cat on the back of an elephant when you compare us to Mercury Racing product!, but that cat has claws and we like being the underdog!, I mean wondercat!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Ray, nothing against your product. My 496 HO gave me four great seasons and still runs strong. Now I am selling it and I chose to go with the 525. One thing I like about the 502 CID engine is the larger bore, shorter stroke. You cannot change that on the 496. Your package is a viable option..........so is the Ilmor.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Curious why you feel a bigger bore and shorter stroke is an advantage in a performance boat where the engine is running between 5100 and 5400 rpms??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar