single or dual ram?

Notices

single or dual ram?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default single or dual ram?

Guys_

Is it worth the extra $900 or so to go twin ram hydraulic steering over single ram? For example: Mayfair dual ram full hydraulic = $3300...... single ram = $2400.

I think the performance difference is related to the symmetry in effort required to turn one direction compared to the other. Right?

The boat is a Formula 271 Fastech....low to mid 70's. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would go dual ram.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have yet to hear any scientific reason for going dual ram on a single engine V. I'd save the money on the 2nd ram and go full hydraulic from the helm back.

If it were me, in your speeds, I'd go single. A fast cat hull, single engine, running 100+ I'd go dual for a couple of reasons.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This may not be a scientific reason for dual rams, but there was a thread not too long ago showing broken gimbals, and the dual ram setups actually holding the drive in place. If you were to come off a wave at an angle, and break a gimbal, there is more of a chance the dual ram set up will keep the drive in place. Also I believe it helps stabilize the drive and and absorbs side loads as well. I think a lot of people are jaded, when it comes to speeds that modern boats run. Especially if your running hard in rough water, 70's is moving. Spend the money for the extra bit of safety.

Just my.02 pesos.

Darrell.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grog
Guys_

Is it worth the extra $900 or so to go twin ram hydraulic steering over single ram? For example: Mayfair dual ram full hydraulic = $3300...... single ram = $2400.

I think the performance difference is related to the symmetry in effort required to turn one direction compared to the other. Right?

The boat is a Formula 271 Fastech....low to mid 70's. Thanks.
Unfortunately there isn't a scientific stand point or speed # since since water conditions and driver style also play such a role in this area. In your particular V-hull application we reference a single ram full hydraulic system will work fine as this system meets 90% of a single engine V-hulls demands nearing the 80mph mark. .

For those of you who haven't checked we are revolutionizing the hydraulic steering market our Mayfair steering dominates most applications through new designs and lower than ever pricing. for example the pricing referenced in this thread is for "Full Hydraulic" systems.

So if your considering upgrading to hydraulic steering make sure and give us a look.

Sincerely,

Hardin Marine
Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go dual ram and a full system. I installed a Hardin system on my Hustler a few years ago. Nice product, and it was the best bang for the buck.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered

In the 70's you will be fine with a single. I have a single hardin system on my Donzi X-18. It runs low 70's. I can't say enough good things about the system.

I have an IMCO twin ram on my 26ZX. I went with IMCO on that because someone practically gave it to me. It is a nice system too. The boat runs well into the 90's and I would use a Hardin Twin Ram system on it ANY day.

Unless you are driving in some serious stuff, I would go with a Hardin single in your application unless you want to blow basically another grand to be symetrical.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dual ram!!! Install a load meter on the high pressure side of the steering ram and let me know what pressures your seeing at 70.. Blow out a single ram and you will go in circles trying to get home. Spend the $$$ and have piece of mine..
Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
Dual ram!!! Install a load meter on the high pressure side of the steering ram and let me know what pressures your seeing at 70.. Blow out a single ram and you will go in circles trying to get home. Spend the $$$ and have piece of mine..
I have never heard of anyone blowing out a single ram from that in this type of application. Those rams can handle some serious pressure.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell that to my friend who flip a 24 eliminator and killed his girlfriend.Single ram broke on a bravo running a 496 @ 78mph!! 1000$$ is well worth the extra safety besides all components will last alot longer.Let me know if you see a P class race boat with 525s running a single ram..He ask the question and take whatever advice is giving but I would give up a few weeks of gas money and purchase two..\
Just my 2

Last edited by HotPursuit; 02-27-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: single or dual ram?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.