carpet install >

carpet install

Notices

carpet install

Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carpet install

so im getting ready to put new carpet in and was wondering what kind of adhesive people use. i dont have access to a spray gun, i mean i can prolly get one but just seeing if theres another way. its a pretty big area so i dont want to use 3M spray can, because that would be a pain and super expensive
Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Use contact cement. You can buy it at Home Depot or ACE, etc. Just roll or brush it on both the floor and the back of the carpet. Let it sit for 10-15 min or until it is dry and has a slight tack. Then just stick it down. DO NOT let the carpet touch the floor unless it is in the correct place. Once it touches, it is stuck for good. If you are doing a large piece, put some wooden dowel rods or similar down to stop the carpet from touching the floor. Once you get it positioned, pull the dowels out one at a time and work the carpet down. It will be there for good. Hope this helps, Eddie.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Registered

can u put the carpet down while it is wet and move around to fit? instead of letting it get tacky? thanks again eddie you have helped me out with my questions alot, and that bilgecoat you recommended worked great. thanks again
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by conquest30'
can u put the carpet down while it is wet and move around to fit? instead of letting it get tacky?
Sorry but no, that is not how contact cement works. It will more likely stick to the carpet than the floor if you do it that way.

I have also used carpet glue out of a 2 gallon bucket. Put it on with a knotched trowel, but that was really permanent.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

YOU CAN GET OUTDOOR CARPET GLUE, you would be better to gel or paint the floor with some grit in the paint and make the carpet a pull out rug. RR textiles sells the 40oz marine carpet. you can use cement down rugs hold water.