outdrive is dead, need help

Notices

outdrive is dead, need help

Old 02-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default outdrive is dead, need help

Hey ya'all....

after draining my starboard outdrive, my engine builder tells me it is trashed, magnet is full of metal dust, and the oil is all metallic... he is tearing it down to determine the extent of the problems but do they sell a "rebuild kit" for these? they are Bravo 1's.. on a 93 cig TG. I am assuming I should replace bearings, gears etc... ?? Can some of you experts help me out here? we are putting new motors in that make about 600-625 hp and want them in tip top shape.... what should I be looking at? ... besides sr's of course... I will upgrade to them later, but want to get these in good shape and together soon. thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Package them up, and send them to MR Gadgets (here on the board) or Max Machine Works ( MMW ) in Havasu. Both can repair and upgrade what you have, to handle the HP your running.

Darrell.

PS: will most likely be the cheapest / best way to do it in the long run.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Registered

Thanks dmoore1 I was actually just recomended by someone else to talk to mr.gadgets..... what I would be most interested in is upgrading to xr internals. My cases are good. These are Bravo HP's... i think the intermediary between the bravo 1 and the xr for a year or two???

anyone know how to get in touch with mr.gadgets? thanks again! Mark
Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased a complete 'gear repair kit' for my '99 Bravo. Includes every bearing, seal, o-ring, clutch cone, shifter fork, assortment of shims and gear sets for a total and complete rebuild. Only think lacking are 2 $12 shims to be determined during assembly, and labor. Paid right at $1600 for both upper and lower repair kits.
This is assuming your housing and shafts are good.
With yours being a '93, you'll be upgrading to the heavier duty X drive gears and bearings in the upper with the kit.

In hinds sight, I'd been better off to buy new. I'm going to have more in my 10 yr old drive than what I could have bought a brand new B1.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a xr that Mr Gadgets just rebuilt for me 3 hours ago that i'm selling.It is a xr with a imco lower.I have pics in the classifieds $4900.00
Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Registered

thanks for all the info guys! I got in touch with Mr. Gadgets and I'm gonna see what he can do for mine. Sounds like the more cost effective route than going new, thanks!