525 efi prop horsepower >

525 efi prop horsepower

Notices

525 efi prop horsepower

Old 03-03-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outlawinil
WOW...so all 525's are weak.
I wouldn't say they are weak, I am sure they are 525hp at the crank. I am willing to bet between the drive and everything hooked up it just drains power, IF IT DOES THAT TO A 525 IMAGINE WHAT IT DOES TO OLD 454mpi
Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
No sensors were hooked up. Remember this is prop shaft with engine installed in the boat. I was just curios as to the power this engine would produce at the prop. I've already established that an XR drive eats about 10-11% HP. I did a test of a 496 Raylar that made 550 at the flywheel and 490 at the prop. I do agree this engine is a little lower on power than some. The boat performance also is indicative of that. The only other 525 I've tested made 475 at 4900. It had a miss that I was trouble shooting and could not get it to pull past that rpm. Never did get a full pull on it. These are corrected numbers using standard correction factor. I have an electronic weather station that calculates the correction, which was about 1%.

Myself and Mr. Whipple are resolving this power situation though

Keep in mind that when tested in the boat everything is connected and full water is running through the exhaust. A lot of engine dyno tests are run with dry exhaust. My dyno room is configured for wet exhaust. In fact on the 496 tests I used the entire exhaust system from the boat in order to get accurate data.
Thanks for the clarification Bobl.. Your comment to the motor being weak and missing would explain that it was down.. I am curious about the sensors not being hooked up though.. I have a set of CMI tailpipes that have O2 bungs on them, and I know that the sensors do not like water, but does the cam have such overlap that you are having reversion enough to wet the O2 sensor..? Is it possible to configure the setup to place an O2 sensor from a good meter like a Horiba in the exhaust..?

I am also curious about the 10-11% XR HP comment.. Are you saying that the drive takes 55-60 HP to turn it, and then you got the 10% figure? Or that it will take 10% of the rated power output of the engine to turn the drive? (If the motor was putting out a rated 1000 HP, then it should not take 100 HP to turn a drive that eats 60 HP, it should take the same 60HP, no..?)

I have been also thinking about having a modified dry pipe setup with a revised muffler design to help with noise, and to be able to run in closed loop.. An idea I got from some guys at the local road race track Laguna Seca near my home..

I have been told it's crazy, and will not work, but I wanted to try and run the system in closed loop...

Thanks..
Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered

50 H.P. loss threw an XR seems like alot. Might make a good thread in it self. Doug
Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Registered

Keep in mind that when tested in the boat everything is connected and full water is running through the exhaust. A lot of engine dyno tests are run with dry exhaust. My dyno room is configured for wet exhaust. In fact on the 496 tests I used the entire exhaust system from the boat in order to get accurate data.
Your experience matches mine (and mostly falls in line with shp ratings insurance companies use for our boats - 500 for this engine new)

Your dyno run is about what these engines put out after a season of running.

Everyone is acting completely surprised?!??!

Bill Aubernell from x power paid to spin dyno pretty much everyones drive and claimed it takes about 44hp to spin an xr 5500rpm.

Thanks for the informative post!

Uncle Dave
Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually add 02 bungs in the tailpipes so I can measure A/F, and connect my fuel transducer. I wasn't looking for that data. Just curios about the power. This engine did not have a miss. The previous 525 I dyno'd was the one with a miss, hence only pulling to 4900 RPM. I've run some engines in closed loop for a while, but eventually the moisture will kill the sensor.

Originally Posted by Blue242
Thanks for the clarification Bobl.. Your comment to the motor being weak and missing would explain that it was down.. I am curious about the sensors not being hooked up though.. I have a set of CMI tailpipes that have O2 bungs on them, and I know that the sensors do not like water, but does the cam have such overlap that you are having reversion enough to wet the O2 sensor..? Is it possible to configure the setup to place an O2 sensor from a good meter like a Horiba in the exhaust..?

I am also curious about the 10-11% XR HP comment.. Are you saying that the drive takes 55-60 HP to turn it, and then you got the 10% figure? Or that it will take 10% of the rated power output of the engine to turn the drive? (If the motor was putting out a rated 1000 HP, then it should not take 100 HP to turn a drive that eats 60 HP, it should take the same 60HP, no..?)

I have been also thinking about having a modified dry pipe setup with a revised muffler design to help with noise, and to be able to run in closed loop.. An idea I got from some guys at the local road race track Laguna Seca near my home..

I have been told it's crazy, and will not work, but I wanted to try and run the system in closed loop...

Thanks..
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Registered

I have only had the opportunity to test a few engines back to back on the engine and prop shaft dyno. In every case the loss was 10%+.

I'm just sharing data with everyone as I accumulate it. Hope it is of use to someone.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had the opportunity to test a few engines back to back on the engine and prop shaft dyno. In every case the loss was 10%+.

I'm just sharing data with everyone as I accumulate it. Hope it is of use to someone.
Bobl,

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it, and try to do the same when I can. Again on the 10%, were any of the engines more than 550HP that you tested..?

I am curious, beause 10% of the 550HP is 55HP, but 10% of 900 HP will be 90HP, and if a drive takes 55HP to turn it, then it should take the same 55HP to turn it from another motor... Whereas, if most of the engines you test are in the 500-550HP range, then it would make sense that you observed 10% loss or about 55HP..

I got the missing engine mixed up with the current one, thx for clarifying..

R
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Bob,

This stuff is extremely informative.
Thanks for all the hard work.

Chris
Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawinil
WOW...so all 525's are weak.
I think they were all different...Ask Reggie.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Registered

I tested a stock 496 HO. 387 at the prop, 431 at the flywheel. That's 10% with an X drive. I've never tried more than 550 HP.

Originally Posted by Blue242
Bobl,

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it, and try to do the same when I can. Again on the 10%, were any of the engines more than 550HP that you tested..?

I am curious, beause 10% of the 550HP is 55HP, but 10% of 900 HP will be 90HP, and if a drive takes 55HP to turn it, then it should take the same 55HP to turn it from another motor... Whereas, if most of the engines you test are in the 500-550HP range, then it would make sense that you observed 10% loss or about 55HP..

I got the missing engine mixed up with the current one, thx for clarifying..

R

Quick Reply: 525 efi prop horsepower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.