Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors??? >

1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???

Notices
View Poll Results: Which motor should I put in my 47 Fountain Flat Deck??
1350 Sterlings (or similar)
53.70%
777ci NA All Motor
29.63%
None of the above
16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???

Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

if your looking for a na 698 motor DEAN GELLNER HAS one for sale and can build a second its a long block for 10,000 to 12,000 grand with good parts heads. he could build a sister but with the same parts I believe it will be more cause the parts in it are good not junk but would make a great package deal since one is this cheap. I have a 572 he is building me with a blower about 1050hp and will need to be checked at 175 to 200hours I think. seems to be the case 150 to 200 hours with blowers or solid cam motors. I think most blower motors will have blower surge at 1350 to 1400 I would think a lot
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Call Dustin Whipple and talk to him about how well his blowers work and how they idle. I would go with the newer technology blowers and they have special idle bypass valves that eliminate the blower surge issues of the roots type blowers. I know you can build a 1300 hp motor that will idle around 800 rpm all day long.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

No problem with the idle characteristics, especially with a Whipple. They have a bypass that allows the engine to idle as if the blower was not there. My 1200 idles like a 500 efi. Here is a short video clip of a pair I recently built.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...80475031&hl=en

If you look, there are several more videos from the same user on google.
Let me know if I can help or if you have any questions. Thanks, Eddie.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

go with an efficient blower, and skip the big cheifs.... they will chew up your valve gear.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by DONZI28ZX

TRY LOOKING AT CUMMINGS ALL THE WAY THE BEST OF THE BEST. TWO IN A 43 EAGLE WILL DO 75 MPH'S AT 3500 AND CAN GO 500 PLUS MILES AT 75MPH. DONT KNOW HOW FAST YOU WANT TO GO. KEEPING THESE MOTORS UP WOULD BE HALF OF ANY OF THE OTHERS THAT WERE TALKED ABOUT. JUST LOOK AT WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER, GOOD MOTORS....
Not to sound smart, but, he's building a boat not a tractor trailer truck. All motors have a place. I am old school and think diesls are for trucks two stokes are for the snow and chevy bigblocks go in boats and muscle cars. I also must say I'm not very fond of seeing a toyota on a nascar track. It just does not seem american. Just my two cents.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
N/A cannot hang with the Blower motors...
The End.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
go with an efficient blower, and skip the big cheifs.... they will chew up your valve gear.
go with an efficient blower, and skip the big cheifs.... they will chew up your valve gear
mmmmmmmmm
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Banned

check the OSO classifieds , a set of 0 time STERLINGS 1350s in scottsdale complete dry sump to exhaust CHEAP...
good luck
Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Registered

Personally, I love my blower motors, and I don't mind the surge. I like the fact it is very easy on your transmissions.
Would I take a new Whipple???? Yes I would, but there are plenty people on here making BIG power with roots blowers and they are rock solid. I have been running my Big Chiefs for 3 years.....not one problem AFTER we changed a bunch of stuff from Sterling.

Good luck!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TeamPSI
question guys... how many cubes are the Sterling 1350's? Does anyone know the boar and stroke?
557 CU. IN. 4.500 bore X 4.375 stroke. The short stroke will allow you to run a little more rpm, that's wht alot of cats will use them. I believe they rate their HP at around 6700-6800 rpm, and alot of guys twist them even higher. The higher you twist them, the sooner you'll be replacing the valvetrain amonst other things that will wear down quickly.

A larger stroke crank will give you the torque that you will want for that big V-bottom. I'd try going with a engine with a 4.75 stroke crank, like a 632. You'd be using all standard off the shelf parts, no special blocks, (10.2 deck) no custom pistons or connecting rods, and I've seen some 632's make in the 1250 hp range on pump gas, that is WITH a blower.

The 23* conventional head is OK, but you'll be limiting the flow of a large cubic inch engine. I'd go with the big chiefs, and as long as you go with someone that know the proper way to assemble and set them up, you'll have no problems with the valve train. There ARE some tricks to setting them up that alot of guys hav'nt found out yet as to their longivety. That will make a big difference in your rebuilds and maintenance schedule.

Talk to some builders and find out what kind of warranty they offer, then ask for refferences, and talk to the customers. Sometimes you'd be surprised on the different story a customer will tell you as from what the builder says.
A bunch of us guys up here in the windy city have been more than impressed with the performance and reliability of a certain builder we use that's a few hours away. That's why we referr all of our friends to him, and so far we've gotten our share of thank yous from everybody that gone there. You have alot of choices here, and a major decision to make. I think you've already talked to someone that could really help you out.

Good luck in whatever you decide, and let's see some more pics.

Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Quick Reply: 1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.