Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oils with good corrosion protection >

Oils with good corrosion protection

Notices

Oils with good corrosion protection

Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody said this was bad or bobs oil site is not good for info. 4-stroke outboards at that time really had nothing bigger than a 200 hp if even that, oil of today is not the same as 5 years ago, It was a mild control test with new unused oil inwhich WD-40 would have done the same results or even come out on top. How many boats sit around with new oil in them? Anyone using 10w-30 in a stock or not marine motor is using the wrong oil - period. No one said this was bad info.

You seem to be very educated in this field for not directly working in it. I can see why most would directly ask for some replies on the topic from you and maybe a couple of others on OSO. I was not bashing anyone in the post as stated. I would agree that there is some good info here and on Bobs site but on that site their is some experts who work directly in that field. There is alot of oil related topics on OSO so whats wrong asking who is the expert or who works in this field and what are their credentials.

If you had a prop tech question most would say ask B Blades because his working back ground with Merc and worked with Props day in and day out - hence an expert.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boats unlimited
How many boats sit around with new oil in them?
I would think if the owner is performing the proper maintenence and winterazation procedures, every fourcycle outboard and I/O in any climate that sees freezing temps for extended perionds of time.

Personally my boat sits around with new oil in it for approximatly 6-7 months/year.

I really don't think I am the only one.

Ken

Last edited by minxguy; 03-14-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by MDGperformance
Hydrocruiser any testing or info on mercs new 100% synthetic oil? I would assume great oil but is sold as low emmisions and catilytic converter friendly,do they remove some of the good stuff?
It's the same formula with about 30% synthetic added...I heard.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No offense to any of the oil posts here on the OSO but most of the oil info can be obtained from www.bobistheoilguy.com and is tranformed here as it seems.

Agreed...Bob said it was okay a few years back...do visit the site under new management now.