Notices

Oils with good corrosion protection

Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Oils with good corrosion protection

..came accross this...fyi..

Yamaha, Castrol GTX, Sierra, Mercury, Pennzoil, Mobil 1 SilverCap and Evinrude Synthetic Blend....top to bottom.
Metals were treated using the normal ASTM corrosion test parameters.
Attached Thumbnails Oils with good corrosion protection-3_263x562.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 03-12-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what are the results? What is considered good/accepable?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
So what are the results? What is considered good/accepable?
Conclusion is that marine engines need a good corosion additive package.

The top two clearly do not deliver this.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Htdrocruiser, you da man. I really appreciate all the great info you post. Thanks.

Darrell.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Registered

Hydrocruiser any testing or info on mercs new 100% synthetic oil? I would assume great oil but is sold as low emmisions and catilytic converter friendly,do they remove some of the good stuff?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

this test is about 5 years ago from Bass and Walleye Magazine from a friend of mine who wrote it Bill G. He writes and tests for the Magazine. The test was 10w-30 4 - stroke outboard oils versus Auto 10w-30 motor oils. Pennzoil 10w-30 Auto oil came out on top if you drawn your own conclusion. This test is 5 years old from a very mild control test by Bill ( the metal test strips were coated in the oils and then sprayed with some of the Atlantic Ocean from a misting bottle, then hung up in a shed for x amount of days)

Today oils really have changed because of the API standards with the EPA influence meaning (less zinc and phousphorus - ZDDP) and all 4-stroke Outboard Marine oils certified by the NMMA are changing also.

This in no way applies to any I/O or inboard engine. Like I said all oils were from 5 year old reports of 10w-30 which no high performance motor is going to use. No offense to any of the oil posts here on the OSO but most of the oil info can be obtained from www.bobistheoilguy.com and is tranformed here as it seems. Bobistheoilguy.com site today is more public opinion than fact as of 5 years ago was filled with a lot of oil experts posting info and by the original owner of the site Bob from Florida who sold out a couple of years ago. Like I said no offense but I have to add anyone posting tech info on any oil subject what chemical studies or chemical degree is held or tests that was done to back most of these oil findings and postings. Not bashing anyone here but what expertise is held in this field? Are the posters here an oil analysis or an oil formulator or an oil chemist or work for any oil producing company or work for any oil formulation company?.

Last edited by Boats unlimited; 03-13-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Boats unlimited;2820912]This test is 5 years old from a very mild control test by Bill ( the metal test strips were coated in the oils and then sprayed with some of the Atlantic Ocean from a misting bottle, then hung up in a shed for x amount of days)

And this is an ASTM test?

I was under the impression for the ASTM test it had to take place in "salt" enviroment. Bill's shed is a 'salt" enviroment?

Ken
Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=

This in no way applies to any I/O or inboard engine. Like I said all oils were from 5 year old reports of 10w-30 which no high performance motor is going to use.[/QUOTE]

I am sure that some one on this board uses a 10w30 in a "marine " application.
If a four stroke outboard engine is used in a marine enviroment how is that different than a 4 stroke I/O engine being used in a marine enviroment.
Both engines operated in the same RPM range, both are always going uphill, and if stored in a boat house or tied to a dock, both see the same enviroment.

You better notify Nascar about using a 10w30 in a high performance engine and those engines see the "high" side of
5K.

I am sure there are more boats on this site that are stock than high performance.

Ken
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boats unlimited

No offense to any of the oil posts here on the OSO but most of the oil info can be obtained from www.bobistheoilguy.com and is tranformed here as it seems.

And the problem with this is...............?

You obviously must read bobtheoil guy or else you wouldn't have know that that the information has bee "transformed" to this site.

By the number of hits on this thread, there must be some one one this board that reads this and finds information they are looking for. Isn't that what this is all about. Not everybody knows about bobtheoilguy, which for what is worth, I have never viewed.

Ken
Old 03-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boats unlimited
Not bashing anyone here but what expertise is held in this field? Are the posters here an oil analysis or an oil formulator or an oil chemist or work for any oil producing company or work for any oil formulation company?.
I take it by the question asked that you are not in any of the fields you have asked about or you would have told us.

Personally, I am not a chemist, but I don't need to be. the oil companies have all the chemists they need.

I DO work for an independent coumpounder blender and have been for the past 24 years. The company is over 44 years old.
My job not only involves sales, but I work directly with the addivitve companies, base oil companies to formulate and blend specfic products that our private label customers require as well as new product development for our own brand. I have reviewed thousands of oil analysis sheets of both new and used competitors product as well as our product.

Am I a chemist no, but this is not my first rodeo in the oil knowledge sector either.

Ken

Quick Reply: Oils with good corrosion protection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.