Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
rust in fuel system--please help >

rust in fuel system--please help

Notices

rust in fuel system--please help

Old 03-22-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rust in fuel system--please help

just had my carb rebuilt and found sand-sized flakes of rust in bottom of bowls. so i came home and pumped out some fuel from the line into a clear jar, and found more of the same. any suggestions as to where this could be coming from? boat has an aluminum tank and merc. fuel filter so not sure where this could be originating?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Probably your fuel supplier, ie gas station. The crappy fuel that is now on the market is good for a couple of things. Collecting water and cleaning and rotting out fuel storage tanks....
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 PM

shouldn't my merc fuel/water seperator filter that stuff out?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

It should. How old is your filter. With the methonol content in the fuel out these day's it only take a short time (couple months) to act on the filter canister itself depending how long it has been in there. Most likely it is out of the tank you filled the boat at. It will make its way thru the filter. There is also a bacteria called HUM BUG that is being found in this modern day fuel. From what I have read it forms in a couple months of fuel storage. It takes a very high micron filter to pull it out. I had this problem myself with some diesel fuel in my p/u. Pulled the filter it was a nasty brown rusty looking crud that clog the filter in less than a couple weeks. You can research this on the web. Have not found a solution yet except some super high micron filtration system. I have been using marine fuel treatment in my boat on every fill up and have not seen it show up there yet. My p/u is another issue. Changing filters everytime I see the fuel pressure start to drop. Good luck