Notices

msd boxes

Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd boxes

Is it really necessary to run the blue marine MSD boxes.I have two new Red MSD boxes.Hate to have to get new ones if I can use what I have. Thanks JOHN
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I had nothing but problems with the Marine box, switched to the digital 4 years ago, works great.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
TC
Registered

Ive been running a 6AL for 600 plus hours without any problems. I believe the marine version is epoxy potted to help protect it against moisture and vibration in the marine environment.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Is it really necessary to run the blue marine MSD boxes.I have two new Red MSD boxes.Hate to have to get new ones if I can use what I have. Thanks JOHN
i have used the red box in a boat,but it didn,t last long,it can,t take the pounding&vibration,the blue box is made to handle the abuse of the marine inviorment.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i have used the red box in a boat,but it didn,t last long,it can,t take the pounding&vibration,the blue box is made to handle the abuse of the marine inviorment.
True, vibration will hurt it but, mounted on a platform with some rubber isolators I've got 545 hrs on mine and still going!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I was a supporter of msd and bought many msd boxes thru the years for my own projects and customers stuff UNTIL I made the MISTAKE of buying a msd marine box. Their quality control is GARBAGE,the first box acted like it had a built in rev limiter and quit randomly,the second box (a replacement) was nothing but problems,spent hours on the phone with their tech guys,they ALWAYS blasmed my install which I re-did several times for no reason. The third box showed up (second replacement) and by then I bought a msd tester,guess what-IT WOULD NOT WORK AT ALL. I put the tester on the second box and it would work intermittently as you wiggle the harness where it entered the casing. When I called msd for the 50th time and told them the third box was DOA and what was happening with the 2nd box they could no longer blame the way I installed it. You would figure they would want the batch numbers off the bad boxes right so they could figure out if there was a factory issue,they had zero interest and told me to just send it back AGAIN. I ended up giving up and swapping to a different brand,have had ZERO problems since and refuse to buy any more msd 6 boxes,at least the marine version,Smitty
Old 03-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Registered

Go with a digital box. That is the only thing that will up hold to the pounding of a boat.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default boxes

By digital, do mean a msd digtial or something else. What is the number. Thanks John
Old 03-26-2009, 06:50 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

MSD Digital 6, uses less power to run, puts out more to the plugs. Summit Racing has them.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may try this site for MSD repair services on your ignition boxes. I had read on a previous thread something to the effect of this company repairing the "weak link" in the #6 box. After their repair/upgrade, the box is a very good component. Perhaps worth an email inquiry.
http://www.rapidracingelectronics.com/

Quick Reply: msd boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.