Lighting headers >

Lighting headers

Notices

Lighting headers

Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting headers

Iam installing a set of lighting headers on my 1984 wellcraft excalibur that is equiped with a 330hp 454. My question is what water hoses do I connect to the headers? Do I use the hoses that go to bottom of the stock manifolds or the hoses that go to the stock risers?
Erik
Old 03-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The hoses that go to the bottom of the manifolds are the water dumps for the engine after the thermostat has opened. The ones that go to the risers are the bypass hoses to keep the water flowing when the thermostat is closed. You need to hook both sets of hoses to your lightnings. If you only have one inlet in the headers, then you must use a Y and tie the two hoses from the engine together and run one line to the headers.
Eddie Marine sells them, but they do not have them on their website. The part # is EMI-131. It is a Y fitting that will turn your 4 hose system into a 2 hose system and will still allow the exhaust to get water all the time. I'm sure others sell them to. They aren't very exspensive. Hope this helps, Eddie.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The hoses that go to the bottom of the manifolds are the water dumps for the engine after the thermostat has opened. The ones that go to the risers are the bypass hoses to keep the water flowing when the thermostat is closed. You need to hook both sets of hoses to your lightnings. If you only have one inlet in the headers, then you must use a Y and tie the two hoses from the engine together and run one line to the headers.
Eddie Marine sells them, but they do not have them on their website. The part # is EMI-131. It is a Y fitting that will turn your 4 hose system into a 2 hose system and will still allow the exhaust to get water all the time. I'm sure others sell them to. They aren't very exspensive. Hope this helps, Eddie.
What about if I hooked up the hoses that go to the risers since they are the bypass hoses and will allways have water running thru them even if the T-stat is closed and then cap off the hoses that would have gone to the bottom of the manifolds? What would happen if I did it this way?
Thanks
Erik
P.S. I have been googleing this and seen a few boat with just one hose going to each header, no two hoses into one then to the header. How are they getting away with this?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

prob.not running a T-stat under the 2-hose H2O exit housing. have any pic's ? or do as Eddie suggests, use the Y fitting.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crapr6
What about if I hooked up the hoses that go to the risers since they are the bypass hoses and will allways have water running thru them even if the T-stat is closed and then cap off the hoses that would have gone to the bottom of the manifolds? What would happen if I did it this way?
Thanks
Erik
P.S. I have been googleing this and seen a few boat with just one hose going to each header, no two hoses into one then to the header. How are they getting away with this?
If you do that, then the engine will run hot since it does not move enough water when the thermostat is closed...that is why the engine heats up when it is just bypassing. The only way you can run a 2 hose system is to eliminate the thermostat. The ones you see are as I'ce said....they have no thermostat. Your engine is built to run at temperature so I would not do that.
Eddie
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Registered

Well here is some pics of the t-stat housing and how its set-up.

Now I have to replace the intire unit because it is rotted bad and really want to get rid of the hoses that aren't needed anymore. I want to replace the intire unit with this peice from
KE

http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=8894
But it only has the 2 outlets and not the 4 outlets like mine has. Will the KE T-stat housing work?
Erik