need some help >

need some help

Notices

need some help

Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

Well i went out and bought a 87 nova II with blown motors, got it home and pulled both motors and while pulling the port side exhaust tip i noticed some transom rot only on the port side of the transom after drilling a couple of holes to see how far the rot was spread. I then noticed the stringers under the motor mounts were soft, so that being said i will never buy a boat again without a surveyor looking it over. What do i do

do I cut my losses and walk away from this thing with a punch to the walet ?

is there a way i can fix the stringer rot under the motor mount only for now until I get the money to do the transom and stringer resto and can the boat be run safely like this ?

do I light it on fire ?
thanks Dan
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

2 questions [1] is it insured,if not [2]do you need a match?seriously,it depends on the cost of repairs vs what the boat is worth.if repair costs&price paid for boat exceeds value,it might be best to cut your losses.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Registered

I just had the transom replaced on my 1988 scarab. It was about 3k. If the main stringers would have needed to be replaced that would have been 2k more. This is not so bad when you add in I raised the engines and drives 2" which should add significant speed on the top end. Plus now I know the boat is rock solid although it never had any issues before. I would say get going on it and you will end up with a boat in better shape then many that are 1-2 yrs old. They all get water in them.

When you say blown do you mean supercharged?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Registered

its not insured yet, I pulled the engine incert and looked over the stringers and rot is just around the motor mount areas. I think I am going to fix the rot on the stringers and throw the incert back in and drop the motors in for this summer. Over the winter I will takle the transom project when I get some more money in my whezal sack . Do you guys think I will be okay for this summer, I wil be driving it in small chop on the chain o lakes in IL

mike tkach I see your from IL, if you are out on the chain o lakes and see a all white Nova named JUST THE TIP stop for a beer and thanks for your info
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered

Fix the motor mount area and you will be fine. Wellcraft laid up the hull fat with fibreglass. The wood does little other than let you clamp things to the transom without it collapsing. Things just won't stay tight very well on the transom. Just keep an eye on things over the summer.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Registered

When you say blown do you mean supercharged?

I wish, the port side motor had a rod through the oil pan and the starboad engine had low oil presure. I have two 350's with 200cc heads and x marine cams and so on that I am dumping in. blue thunder you bring up a good point, when I am done with the repairs I now that I have a solid boat. I love this boat and am going to fix it.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

git rot, time, will take care of the rot, drill lots of holes, let it dry out then fill carfully, works great...fixed several this way ! Rob
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
git rot, time, will take care of the rot, drill lots of holes, let it dry out then fill carfully, works great...fixed several this way ! Rob
goolge seacast transom it is the cats azz!