Water in oil with pics >

Water in oil with pics

Notices

Water in oil with pics

Old 04-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since water got in the motor in the 1st place from a failure, what good does changing the oil repeatedly do? The issue is still there.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Iam hoping the water entering the motor was due to the leaking manifolds/risers. I will be replacing the manifolds/riser and hopeing that is the last of the water issue.
Well i'll see what happeneds this summer....
Old 04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Since water got in the motor in the 1st place from a failure, what good does changing the oil repeatedly do? The issue is still there.
Well, I stated in my post that the original water ingestion issue needs to be resolved first.

Greg
Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sorry guys, it looks to me you just wasted your time telling him what to do. Sounds like new exhaust system and things will be fine I bet the rings are stuck, plunger in lfters stuck, nice bearings oil with water turning to steam, maybe a sticking valve at 3000rpms or more, cylinder walls nice and rust pitted. Hydro-locking of that cylinder having an effect on the rod bearing. I have seen 20 min. run time on an engine with a rust hole under a intake valve seat sucking water wear a rod journal out of round .003. If he runs that thing in that condition the next post will be about a blown engine.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Sorry guys, it looks to me you just wasted your time telling him what to do. Sounds like new exhaust system and things will be fine I bet the rings are stuck, plunger in lfters stuck, nice bearings oil with water turning to steam, maybe a sticking valve at 3000rpms or more, cylinder walls nice and rust pitted. Hydro-locking of that cylinder having an effect on the rod bearing. I have seen 20 min. run time on an engine with a rust hole under a intake valve seat sucking water wear a rod journal out of round .003. If he runs that thing in that condition the next post will be about a blown engine.
No one is wasting there time. I thank everyone for there info and help, but at this time I can not put a new motor in the boat. I understand everything you posted is your opinion on the condition of my motor but I will say i think your wrong. For what it is the motor runs great and I know it dosn't have rust pitted cylinder walls, rings stuck, bad lifters. I will say Iam not 100% sure on the condition of the bearings.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Registered

Talk about bad mojo, man, I just pulled the valve covers off my starboard engine.... found milky oil and some rust on the guideplates.

Pulled the intake and heads to determine where the water was coming from, and it turns out that the intake gaskets were leaking water into the lifter valley.

Nice!

Greg

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
I bet its the intake !!
Replaced old intake with new intake and gaskets.
So I'll see what happeneds when I run it!
Erik
P.S. I 'll let you know about your block.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My old motor used to get water inside after just a few minutes of run time right after I bought it. After countless tear downs and checks finding nothing wrong, turned out my intake gaskets weren't tight. I used to do the normal 3 rounds on the torque pattern and be done. Even after the 3 rd time around, the 1st bolt in the sequence was finger tight do the gasket being compressed each round. I now go around as many times as it takes till the 1st bolt still has torque to it.
That was on my blower intake, the stock Merc intake was never a problem. Just something to keep in mind on your intake install. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Registered

My old motor used to get water inside after just a few minutes of run time right after I bought it. After countless tear downs and checks finding nothing wrong, turned out my intake gaskets weren't tight. I used to do the normal 3 rounds on the torque pattern and be done. Even after the 3 rd time around, the 1st bolt in the sequence was finger tight do the gasket being compressed each round. I now go around as many times as it takes till the 1st bolt still has torque to it.
That was on my blower intake, the stock Merc intake was never a problem. Just something to keep in mind on your intake install. Good luck.
This is true. I just installed a new intake on my motor and took countless rounds of tighting till they all were tight. After firing it up and warming it up i'll go back and recheck.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the intake will touch the steel deck of the block on the front and the back oreventing you from squeezing the gasket properly. Always check that when going back with anything that is not stock or you will change gaskets and tighten until you make yourself crazy trying to figure out where the leak is coming from.

Also, if you think it is leaking from the intake, you can usually run the engine without the valve covers so that you can see if water is leaking into the engine by looking through the oil passages.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Water in oil with pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.