Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil cooler supply and return lines? >

oil cooler supply and return lines?

Notices

oil cooler supply and return lines?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler supply and return lines?

i have a small problem that might not even be a problem...

i started an engine freshining project. i was fairly careful to mark and record (even take pictures) of compenents and they're locations. well im almost to the point of all the accessories being bolted up. when i removed the oil cooler i made note of the lines and where they went. i made a mark on the block with a paint pen and made a mark on the line that was closest to the block so the lines would go back on the same way and the oil cooler would still have oil flowing the same way through it. the block went to the machine shop and they boiled it and cleaned it... my mark is gone.

my question, does anyone know which line goes where. the p/s side of it is idiot proof. and i left both lines hooked to the remote oil filter adaptor. but the two lines that go to the adaptor on the block... which goes where. the adaptor on the block has two threadded holes. one is in the center and one is offset from it. i cant rember if the offset one was pointing into the block or facing out. and the center is taller, but the threads look the same.

even if you run out to your boat real quick and tell me how yours is routed it will be much apprecieated. my engine was a 1993 factory merc 502 mag.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Registered

On my 502's, the center fitting goes to the oil filter assembly. The offset fitting goes to the outlet side of the oil cooler.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by point92mach
On my 502's, the center fitting goes to the oil filter assembly. The offset fitting goes to the outlet side of the oil cooler.

I hope this helps,

Greg

thanks so much man. that is just what i needed! yeah my boat is a 1993 but the stamping on the engine is 1992. so ours are the same. thanks again!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Registered

Cool!

I dig your signature line, too. A couple of powerstrokes would make just about any gas powered boat better!

Greg
Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The great thing about going diesel is that you can add the chip mods to it, continue to throw fuel at it and it just makes more and more power. A bit of a smokey bear behind you, but some of us would sell out our mothers for a few more hp. It's a good thing you asked about the direction on the cooler. Most of the time, direction of the engine oil doesn't matter (if fittings are aligned usually not an issue), but in cases where the oil fittings aren't aligned, the direction of the engine oil can be very important.