proper flat tappet cam break-in

Notices

proper flat tappet cam break-in

Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper flat tappet cam break-in

Greetings everyone,

Ive done quite a bit of research on how to properly break in a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft but as I began the process I noticed there was not any oil coming to the top end. I thought this was perhaps due the lifters needing time to pump up, but I wasn't willing to keep the motor running until I felt for sure that this was the cause. The motor was only running for about 30seconds. Also during the 30 seconds, I was watching the push rods to make sure they were spinning and they all were, but really slowly. Anyone know how fast they are supposed to be turning at 2000RPM?

Any assistance with these questions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you prime the system? There is a tool you install where the distributor goes. You spin the tool will a drill untill you get oil pressure.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Registered

Proper cam break in is critical to the camshaft life - Once you get it fired up and the timing set - run it to 1600 - 2000 RPM for 30 minutes. You'll need to do this in the water as most water hoses will not put out enough water to cool the motor and will eventually eat the raw water pump impeller.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Registered

I did not prime the system. Due to the configuration of the motor in the boat it does not lend itself to easy oil priming. I was told it was a good idea to prime the system but not absolutely necessary. I may think twice about that if it really does take around 3 minutes for the lifters to pump up.

Could I have damaged the cam/lifters already by running it for 30seconds without the system primed??
Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not an engine builder but I was told to always prime. Maybe some of the experts will chime in. Flat tappet cams have a hard enough time as it is with todays oil. I heard to use convensional Shell Rotella Diesel for break in with an additive. After break in I use Amsoil 15w/40 Marine.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have broken them in both ways, and been succesful.(primed and unprimed) I have only had one go flat once, and it was traced back to a carb problem that would not let the engine run right, so it never had the constant 20-30minute run that it needed.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not only do you need to prime the system, but make sure the oil is starting to exit the push rods or at least use lube on the parts, how about the spring pressure for break-in, and you need to use a break-in oil additive, Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, something that has all the additives that were removed in todays oil. You can do a search on those two and find out what I mean. This is why the cam fails sometimes. I agree with the others for break-in as for RPMS and time of running. You will always have to use an additive in the oil from now out.