Engine Dyno Tuned   COST?  Don't want to overpay for service >

Engine Dyno Tuned COST? Don't want to overpay for service

Notices

Engine Dyno Tuned COST? Don't want to overpay for service

Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Dyno Tuned COST? Don't want to overpay for service

New to boats and have not gotten a boat dyno'd yet. My cars were only about $400 but I'm assuming that's a paltry sum compared to a boat. I know with cars that some shops I've run across will charge way more than others. So what is a reasonable price for my single engine? (carbed 502 roller tuned with a new blower)

Also, what do most performance shops charge per hour for service?

thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 12:11 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Hey Scott, I just had one of my engines rebuilt and was told the best way to break in an engine is to do it on a dyno? To vary the rpm and load ect? I was told $500. per day on the dyno and could take them 2-3 days time to tune, check, test, run, break in ect. Does this sound right to you? I didn't want to drop the new engine in and break it in on the water. Not being able to monitor and hear what's going on. Your thoughts?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just dyno tuned one last week. $500 plus tax and $350 for the tuner(Thanks Ed). WAAAAAAY easier on the stand than in the boat!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm getting quotes at $600 per engine in TX, a blower would probobly be more
Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Registered

so about 500-600 for the actual dyno tune.

then about how many hours can I expect to remove and reinstall my single engine?

I really appreciate the responses guys. It's hard having not done this before and walking into a shop. I'm always wondering if I'm being overcharged (bad experience before when I was young and getting work done to my first car)

thanks again
Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the time they got done with my engines over two days, one quite long, it was about $1500. Well worth it. Issues got resolved that would have driven me crazy on the water.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

400-600 around Houston for basic setup assuming thats where you got your motor built, that's about 3-4 hours in the cell.

A basic tune to me is timing and timing curve, jetting, carb spacers and or carbs. 15-20 pulls. Running the valves one time.

It is well worth your time to have a plan before you start.

Get your jets, carb spacers, distributor springs, air cleaners and anything else you want to try lined up.

Get your basic setup and adjustments then try a few variations. The engine builder and or dyno guy will normally have a real good idea what might work so do your research and dont leave until your happy even if that means an extra couple hundred.

Get your dyno sheets printed and on a disc, be sure that the correction factors show.

you may need to find a water pump and pulley/belt in order to make your setup work on the dyno.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I had mine done last year by Tyler Crockett it was in the same ballpark price as the others although mine is fuel injected and blown. The tune took it from about 650 hp on the first pull to over 720 hp when we were done.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I charge $600.00 per engine, but it's my build and I have to tune it. The second engine takes alittle less time since you already have a baseline. If someone else builds the engine and brings it to you how do you know it's not going to mess-up your dyno room. If you build engines matched correctly the tune-up should be equal for both.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine is still in the boat you could get it prop shaft dyno'd. I have one and do it all the time. However there are very few shops that have a prop shaft dyno. I can do up to 800 hp at the prop. If you are anywhere near central Texas give me a call.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.