Question for ya JimV...

Notices

Question for ya JimV...

Old 03-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for ya JimV...

Jim, I have a set of Holly Dial-a-jets on my 850dp. Bruce was saying that you had recently tried a set of these and had some problems with them. Because I already have them, we were going to give them a couple of pulls on the dyno, but we would like to know what your experiences were.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Cord - are those the electronic fuel bowls with solenoids controlling the metering area that Holley tried years ago, or the ring that goes on the air horn and drips extra fuel into the venturi?
Old 03-22-2002, 06:51 PM
Bruce

Tomcat, they are neither. These are a replacement metering block with a long needle and seat arrangement that is accessable from the top of the block, outside the carburetor. The concept is to allow manual changing of the main jet circuit from outside the carburetor. My concern is with their accuracy and consistency.

Old 03-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cord

Sorry I havn't posted. B.J. went to the dyno so I cant answer your question. I will try to get him to answer you.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

ttt
Old 03-24-2002, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Cord

I've got a 4-pack of Dial-A-Jets waiting for me to do the blowers on my 311. Planning to put them on a pair of 950cfm 4150HP's on blowthru (prochargers).

Can't imagine big problems with them. I am as interested as you in getting the lowdown here. I figured they would pay for themselves many times over in dialing in the blowthru setup(especially on a boat with not having to take the bowls off 250 times and spilling gas all over on a hot day thus filling the bilge up with explosive fumes..).

M
Old 03-29-2002, 12:11 PM
Registered

Default Dail-a-Jet

Cord, This is B.J. @ Valako Race Heads. I dyno'd the Dial-a-jets on Kaama's 540 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. They seem to work OK at WOT but were fat on the bottom and lean in the middle. I think that the theory is good but intended more for drag racing where part throttle is not a concern. Also in drag racing jet changes are made daily due to weather and other factors. In marine once the motor is dialed in, it stays there until a change is made to the motor.

I think we could have got them to work better if we would have spent more time tunning, but we never saw the light at the end of the tunnel so we went back to the tried and true 950HP Holley with 78's. The BS number with out the dial-a-jet didn't change more than .01 from 3000 on up. I guess what I'm tring to say is with a Carb that "follows" so well it was discouraging to see the fuel curve go all over the place when the dail-a-jet was installed.

Last edited by JimV; 03-29-2002 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:08 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Mind you that I really don't have a good understanding of the Holly, but would there be something to gain by juggling the power valves? The numbers refer to the point that they open, but is there a way to control their flow? Or, can the idle circuit some how be leaned out? I know that it's easy to richen it (by drilling right?), but how do you lean it?

I'll give Holly a jingle on monday and get their take on the problems with the dial-a-jets.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the holley 950 were you using 78's all the way around and did it have a secondary power valve? Thanks, Ironman.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:16 PM
Registered

Yeh, we had 78's in all 4 corners. I don't remember if we had a power valve in the rear or not. I never took one out or put one in it so If it comes stock from holly, then it was in there. B.J.

Quick Reply: Question for ya JimV...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.