Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gaffrig GPS Speedo Problem >

Gaffrig GPS Speedo Problem

Notices

Gaffrig GPS Speedo Problem

Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In some earlier threads on this subject, some tried to replace the battery themselves and ruined their pucks, which cost $200+ (so I've been told). I probably could have changed my own, but chose to send it back, just for my own peace of mind! Glad to hear it was only $4
Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stogie
Alright. Took it upon myself to try and fix the battery in the gps receiver/antennae. Unscrewed the white cap which has a small o-ring and teflon tape and took the unit apart by removing three small internal screws. And whaddyaknow, voila, there is a small panasonic battery in the bottom of the unit. Its held in by a couple of tack welds which were easily cut using an exacto knife. Went to Batteries Plus and bought a battery and they tack welded it back in for me, all for the grand total of $3.89. Thats right folks, three dollars and eighty-nine cents. Put the unit back together and it works like a charm. Just a bit of fyi for the do-it yourselfers!!
Following up on this thread, thought I would share my experience. No warning, went out to test some new prop work from BBlades today only to find the Speedo pegged at 55 MPH. Pissed off the remainder of the day, I stumbled onto this thread the next morning. the pictures below are from the Monday morning operation. The small Panasonic battery is soldered in and mounting tabs appear to block any additional information. i am going to call Livorsi this morning and see if I can purchase the battery from them unless Stogie can post up the Batteries Plus part number he used.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

Pulled the battery mounting clips off and as you can see it is a CR1632

Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered

Pretty sweet deal. the guy shrink wraped the sides, bent new tabs and spot welded them on for under $4 bucks

Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

Some have emailed me about the torque required to remove (or in my case install) the white plastic cover. Since mine was siliconed to the top of the dash, I was able to unscrew the cover while still in the boat. However overcoming the pipe tape and o-ring resistance during install was a bit tricking since the unit was no longer secured to the dash. For those that have the antenna already out or when reinstalling, the trick i used was a pair of needle nose pliers. In the base of the unit are three screw holes used to secure the MB from the inside. The remaining thread provides just enough depth to get the tips of the pliers to resist the torque needed to get the cap on or off. Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesky Varmint
On my GPS speedometer when the receiver quit I simply
patched in my Garmin GPS NMEA output into the speedometer.
Works fine. Assuming you're also running a GPS.

Pesky Varmint
That's what I did too.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Naughty Kitty
Some have emailed me about the torque required to remove (or in my case install) the white plastic cover. Since mine was siliconed to the top of the dash, I was able to unscrew the cover while still in the boat. However overcoming the pipe tape and o-ring resistance during install was a bit tricking since the unit was no longer secured to the dash. For those that have the antenna already out or when reinstalling, the trick i used was a pair of needle nose pliers. In the base of the unit are three screw holes used to secure the MB from the inside. The remaining thread provides just enough depth to get the tips of the pliers to resist the torque needed to get the cap on or off. Hope this helps.
mines running at 9 o'clock ..sure hope it stays stuck to the dash ..Thanks for the great info ...off to Radio shack
Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

i replaced my battery. but the problem persists. mine stays stuck below the 2 ...or at 17 mph..... when i pressthe recall erase toggle, it drops to zero, then when i let go the toggle, it goes back to the 17 mph mark and wont budge ..even when at 50mph, stuck at 17... i keepplaying with the erase and recall togglle but no matter what i do, it always goes back to 17. any ideas
Old 07-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Are you sure you have the +/- soldered in the right orientation?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevalcabre
i replaced my battery. but the problem persists. mine stays stuck below the 2 ...or at 17 mph..... when i pressthe recall erase toggle, it drops to zero, then when i let go the toggle, it goes back to the 17 mph mark and wont budge ..even when at 50mph, stuck at 17... i keepplaying with the erase and recall togglle but no matter what i do, it always goes back to 17. any ideas
send in your gage for testing,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.