Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: engine noise?

Registered
    My Boats:
    checkmate 251 convincor,checkmate 253 convincor, 50 gibson
    looks like that one was too loose...appeared may have been hammering the rocker before the pushrod gave up...also what push rods ? did you ck for proper lenth ? Rob

My Boats:
    330 Carver 30' Scarab Panther 17' ProV Lund
    You say you set them at zero lash then 1/2 turn. How do you difine zero lash? It takes a light touch with new lifters to find this spot.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Baja 24' Outlaw Marine Kinetics Build
    Quote Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
    looks like that one was too loose...appeared may have been hammering the rocker before the pushrod gave up...also what push rods ? did you ck for proper lenth ? Rob
    i got them from my local speed shop. i told him what lifters i had and rocker setup and he ordered them. do you think i have the incorrect length pushrods. and what is the best way to find out what size i need?

My Boats:
    39 MTI "Wildcat",
    I would seriously consider pulling the head(s) to check the valves. Way cheaper to do that now than lose the valve later into the engine. I would also suggest having a pro set the lash. Little mistakes cost so much. I would not gamble an engine at this point. Take it to an engine builder to get your setup right. I use Ateco even though I know how to do this stuff. I have spent too much money fixing broken engines because I was trying to do it myself. Hi-performance parts go bad on little mistakes. That is why now I only use experts for my two strokes and four strokes go fast stuff. I was rebuilding these things when i was kid with success with stock parts and stock engines. Hi-perf is a all new game.
    Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 04-22-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1994 Baja 236 500HP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer22 View Post
    i got them from my local speed shop. i told him what lifters i had and rocker setup and he ordered them. do you think i have the incorrect length pushrods. and what is the best way to find out what size i need?
    Don't get depressed. Figure out what went wrong and fix it. Learn from your mistakes and move on. If you don't think you can handle it, find somone local that you trust to help you. Good Luck!!

Registered
    My Boats:
    checkmate 251 convincor,checkmate 253 convincor, 50 gibson
    they would have no way of knowing for sure what lenth would be correct, they sell a test rocker arm and a adj push rod to check for the correct lenth...Rob

Platinum Member Platinum Member EWPE's Avatar
    My Boats:
    35 Cigarette Awesome ,16 Glasspar Avalon
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    Don't get depressed. Figure out what went wrong and fix it. Learn from your mistakes and move on. If you don't think you can handle it, find somone local that you trust to help you. Good Luck!!
    Good advice!
    Last edited by EWPE; 04-24-2009 at 08:14 AM.

My Boats:
    330 Carver 30' Scarab Panther 17' ProV Lund
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer22 View Post
    Start by removing a rocker from one intake and one exhaust valve. Clean the end of the valves with thinner. Sharpy marker the end of each valve and reinstall the rockers and adjust properly. Turn the engine over 2 or 3 revolutions. Remove the rockers and look for a bowtie shape approximately centered on the valves in the marker. If you have that, you pushrod are the right length.

Registered
    My Boats:
    40 Skater Row Boat & N.D.

engine noise

Bring it to Loto You do drywall I fix boat
    Thumper

Registered
    My Boats:
    96 , cig top gun
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    I would seriously consider pulling the head(s) to check the valves. Way cheaper to do that now than lose the valve later into the engine. I would also suggest having a pro set the lash. Little mistakes cost so much. I would not gamble an engine at this point. Take it to an engine builder to get your setup right. I use Ateco even though I know how to do this stuff. I have spent too much money fixing broken engines because I was trying to do it myself. Hi-performance parts go bad on little mistakes. That is why now I only use experts for my two strokes and four strokes go fast stuff. I was rebuilding these things when i was kid with success with stock parts and stock engines. Hi-perf is a all new game.

well i would at least leak it down.... something sure as hell bottomed hard...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast