Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Full transplant - 7.4 Bravo1 / 5.7 Alpha Gen2 - Possible? >

Full transplant - 7.4 Bravo1 / 5.7 Alpha Gen2 - Possible?

Notices

Full transplant - 7.4 Bravo1 / 5.7 Alpha Gen2 - Possible?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Full transplant - 7.4 Bravo1 / 5.7 Alpha Gen2 - Possible?

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster.

The short of it, I have a '95 Chaparral 2130SS with a carb'd 7.4 with a bravo1 and 330 hrs that I'm selling this spring.

I also have a '98 Mariah Talari Z211 cuddy with a brand new carb'd vortec 5.7 and captains call exhaust with a gen2 alpha that I'm keeping.

Can I swap the entire motor / drive package between the two boats with minimum fiberglass reworking? I keep finding different references saying that I can and can't for various reasons.

I figure the biggest issues:

- Transition through transom.
- Can I mate the cpt call to the 7.4 manifolds?
- How will this affect geometry of the boat? (Relative prop depth. 'x measurement')
- Will the throttle linkage work?
- Will there be 'holes' in the Chaparral from the bravo transition that will need to be filled?

Any other pitfalls? I just really like the torque of the big block, but need the function of the cuddy. I know its unusual to have two rigs side by side to do the swap, so I'm hoping it won't be too complicated. Mostly concerned with the drilling and throttle linkage.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
Not aproblem at all !!!!

And no glasswork needet, all u have to do is cut the transom for the tiller arm ( steering ) a little more and the Bravo should fit right in !!
My wife isn't going to like this news.

So the linkage and steering components should work fine? And putting the 5.7 into the Chaparral shouldn't create any issues? I've read a couple people mention that I might need to drill out two holes in the top of the transom for the bravo, but that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stereoman405
My wife isn't going to like this news.

So the linkage and steering components should work fine? And putting the 5.7 into the Chaparral shouldn't create any issues? I've read a couple people mention that I might need to drill out two holes in the top of the transom for the bravo, but that shouldn't be an issue.
Yes, bravo has 2 more bolts but that is no big deal.

Exhaust is an issue though... BB is about an inch wider so at minimum the through hull is going to need some tweaking. you might be able to get by with Trident exhaust hose because it is flexible. The exhaust through Hub should not be an issue at all.

There will be some odds and ends with the throttle linkage, etc. I can't say where you will be as there have been various setups. However, between the two boats and swapping parts you should be able to do it with minimal purchases.

But, to be totally honest, I'd just keep the engines where they are. I would consider swapping the drives out though. parts are cheap for a SB and you might find there is no performance gain on the Big block because the extra weight.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
... you might find there is no performance gain on the Big block because the extra weight.
How much is the weight difference? I seem to recall 200-300 lbs. I was hoping to off set it somewhat with lighter manifolds and intake.

I know I won't really get much top end out of the deal. Especially being the 300HP 7.4. I just love the torque that the Chappy had. No matter how many people I had in that boat it would plane in 2-3 seconds. Plus the easy low rpm cruising. Not to mention the overall potential for building the big block.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Registered

Hmmm, according to some research I've done, a big block with cast heads and manifolds weighs approx 685 lbs, and a small block is around 575 lbs.

http://www.enginefactory.com/chevdimensions.htm

I thought that there would be a bigger difference. Seems like weight is pretty negligible when you consider the torque you gain. I could close that gap pretty easy with a new intake and exhaust manifolds.

The Chappy was a 52 - 55 MPH boat, the Mariah is 500lbs lighter with a speedier hull design.... maybe I'll be able to touch my 60 goal after all....