Need mecruiser universal expertise >

Need mecruiser universal expertise

Notices

Need mecruiser universal expertise

Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need mecruiser universal expertise

I have a supercharged cruiser. Two years ago I blew a 1998 bravo III with a sternjack. I replaced the drive with a new and improved 2006 drive. The later drive has different universal joints. The stern jack couples to the drive at the last universal with a spline drive. I asked the sternjack factory if they had a compatible coupler for my new drive and they do not. I took everything to a local drive-line guy. He thought that someone had made a universal joint with the older style bearing cups mixed with the newer style. Does anybody know how to spec. the older style vs. the newer style? Or better yet can anybody tell me where to get the mixed universal I need?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bob,
the new ujoints are metric. Made in England. I dont think anyone has come up with a conversion ujoint that will mix and match. One thing you could do is change out the yoke to an older unit. If your yoke on your old drive is still in good shape and your new drive does not have XR or XZ gears it will fit.
What model is the new drive?? BIII? I think they make a BIII with XR upper.. If that is the case you can get a different yoke to convert from the old style small ujoint to the XR pinion gear. That input shaft is a pricey piece. I would replace it with the old style and either sell it or keep it if you ever sell the drive..

Hope this helps.. Any questions, you can give me pm.

Dick
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dick I thought you would reply. We talked last when I blew the drive. The new drive is a BIII. Can you give me specs on the old vs new?