scored cylinder walls >

scored cylinder walls

Notices

scored cylinder walls

Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy scored cylinder walls

I have a carb hp 500 with 250 hours on it.I wanted to get the heads redone as recommened by many people with this motor.To my surprise i was told that there is some scoring on each cylinder wall.I have not seen it yet but i am wondering how this could of happen.The motor was running great.Also what will need to be done?Can i just get the springs done and use it this season or should this be taken care of now?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts
Default scoring

Many engines will have scoring to the cylinder walls even shortly after fresh rebuilds. As long as they are not real deep don't worry about it now. Update/grade your heads as planned and pull the engine in the fall. At that time either bore or hone and go about your new reguild. Small scoring is not uncommon and you will not notice much if any performance loss.

Keep your oil changed regularly also.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tutzone
I have a carb hp 500 with 250 hours on it.I wanted to get the heads redone as recommened by many people with this motor.To my surprise i was told that there is some scoring on each cylinder wall.I have not seen it yet but i am wondering how this could of happen.The motor was running great.Also what will need to be done?Can i just get the springs done and use it this season or should this be taken care of now?
You'll have to see it to know for sure, but I'd guess they are wanting to do a full rebuild and therefore will tell you the scoring is bad. Unless you can seriously catch a finger nail on the scoring, you will be fine doing the top end and running it.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered

Default finger nail

Originally Posted by blue thunder
You'll have to see it to know for sure, but I'd guess they are wanting to do a full rebuild and therefore will tell you the scoring is bad. Unless you can seriously catch a finger nail on the scoring, you will be fine doing the top end and running it.
Good point...

I was going to say the same thing but didn't know the particulars. Regardless take a look at it yourself and when rubbing your finger nail across the scoring, if it hangs up big time then you might have some issues but I doubt it. Once again small scoring is very common. Many engines I've torn down to rebuild for WHAT EVER reason there is scoring on the cylinder walls. The only time I would worry about it much is if the scratches are completely horizontal (not likely). In that case a ring could possibly hang up on it or them and cause problems. Snap a picture of the worst cylinder and post it here.

Last edited by getrdunn; 04-26-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Registered

its an easy answer to know. while the heads are off you make a small "cover" for the cylinder that you can screw a leak down fitting into. seal it with an o ring or a gasket and bolt it on and leak the cylider down. anything less than 10 % is fine, anything more than 20% needs work. anything in the middle requires a judgement on your part. the fingernail test isn't going to give you any information that means anything at all.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered

Default leak down

Originally Posted by stevesxm
its an easy answer to know. while the heads are off you make a small "cover" for the cylinder that you can screw a leak down fitting into. seal it with an o ring or a gasket and bolt it on and leak the cylider down. anything less than 10 % is fine, anything more than 20% needs work. anything in the middle requires a judgement on your part. the fingernail test isn't going to give you any information that means anything at all.

Ya and while your at it be sure and rotate your crank every couple of degrees so your rings hit every position thoughout the stroke.... This will help determine if your rings are seated and not damaged. You might as well carve your intials in the bore while your at it. As long as the piston is at BDC everything should look great.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Registered

If it over heated may be a problem the stock pistions & rings are verry soft the rings crack the ring grouves chip (heat will kill an engian)
Old 04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Registered

I've re done the heads on my 2001 575SCi's at 430 hours.

Both engines still had the crosshatching in the cylinder walls (looked
like they'd just been honed). They've never used oil.

I always use Mobil 1 for what its worth.

Go look for yourself. The 500 block is cut from the same cloth
as the 575SCi.

Pesky Varmint
Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered

I am going tomorrow to have a look.I will take pictures and post them.Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn

Ya and while your at it be sure and rotate your crank every couple of degrees so your rings hit every position thoughout the stroke.... This will help determine if your rings are seated and not damaged. You might as well carve your intials in the bore while your at it. As long as the piston is at BDC everything should look great.
i'm sorry. i made the foolish assumption that you knew what you were talking about. if you're not smart enough to block the rotation such that the rings are in the suspect area then you aren't smart enough to be doing the work. but then again if your precision measuring tools are your thumb and your fingernal then i should have realized how obvious that was from the beginning.

silly me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.