Mercruiser 260 Upgrade >

Mercruiser 260 Upgrade

Notices

Mercruiser 260 Upgrade

Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser 260 Upgrade

This is my second post on this Forum with my first post getting no responses but what the heck ill try a different topic!!

I just bought a 1989 Powerplay 185-XLT with a Mercruiser 260 Alpha One and 23' stainless prop.

I was just wondering what the best "bang for the buck" upgrade would be? Don't want to overhaul the whole engine just something to give it a lil boost!! ie K&N flame arrestor, different carb/manifold setup, etc

I know it's only an Alpha One but it was just rebuilt and I think it can handle a few more HP.

I would really appreiciate some feedback!!

Thanks All,

ACE
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ACE7WILD
This is my second post on this Forum with my first post getting no responses but what the heck ill try a different topic!!

I just bought a 1989 Powerplay 185-XLT with a Mercruiser 260 Alpha One and 23' stainless prop.

I was just wondering what the best "bang for the buck" upgrade would be? Don't want to overhaul the whole engine just something to give it a lil boost!! ie K&N flame arrestor, different carb/manifold setup, etc

I know it's only an Alpha One but it was just rebuilt and I think it can handle a few more HP.

I would really appreiciate some feedback!!

Thanks All,

ACE
the K N air filter will do nothing but look good on the stock system. You could add a small blower. Or do a intake manifold, carb, cam ect, The drive can hold up to 300 HP, if you are nice to it. Then you will be able to get a bigger prop. If done right you might see 5 plus MPH. If you do a cam set up just do your home work real good becouse if you put the wrong cam in the boat will go slower in most cases. You could look in to a new set of heads that are lighter and flow better and better head internell part also will help. have fun with it and make sure you find a good boat guy that knows what hes doing.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Registered

My brother has a 260 in a 1979 Taylor with alpha drive we put a set of stainless marine exaust on and went from 4600 rpm to 5000 rpm. He got them used 800.00 thats cheap HP.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys!

I already have thru-hull exhaust off the stock manifold and riser so I'm thinking my first upgrade might be a high-flow stainlessd system. I'm thinking that will give me a lil more power. Might have to wait till next spring tho...already spent enough on it this spring!!

My flame arrestor is not in the best shape so I was thinking I mine as well get a K&N, I figured it cant hurt it at all. I run K&N in all my vehicles and they are only around $100.

Any other suggestions?

ACE