Help...stuck BBC balancer >

Help...stuck BBC balancer

Notices

Help...stuck BBC balancer

Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help...stuck BBC balancer

Can’t get the balancer off? Snapped the bolt head off my puller trying to get it off. It still has pressure on it w/ the puller still attached so I tried heating it w/ a propane torch hoping it would pop off. No luck, its like this thing is super glued on! Any other tricks to try?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Put as much pressure as you can with the puller and then hit the end of the puller bolt with a hammer. I use a large brass hammer so I don't tear up the end of the puller bolt. You really need to hit it pretty hard. I am not crazy about heating them up with a torch, especially if it is a stock balancer with a rubber ring. You even have to watch heating up aftermarket balancers since some of them have gel that will boil and not be effective at absorbing harmonics anymore. You should be able to get it off the way I described. After you hit it with the hammer, tighten up the puller bolt again. Then hit it again. If it doesn't move when you hit it, then tighten the bolt more and hit it again. You will hear a loud pop when it moves.
What kind of balancer is it? Next time you install it coat the inside of the balancer and the crank snout with antiseize. This will stop the balancer from galling when it goes on. You will need a very good bolt grip puller to remove it. I use a Snap-on and still break it periodically. Cheap auto part store or Harbor Freight models will not work.
Hope this helps. Good luck, Eddie.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vodoo Unfreeze!!

If the engine caqn be sat upright on the flywheel end on 2x4's prefferably. Take some Coca Cola fresh from a can and pur it into the top of the crank snout and let it sit for a day, then clean it out and spray some Liquid Wrench brand remover in and let that sit for a day. Also works great for removing fronzen piston/ring assemblies from rusted bores!
Then do as Young said with the steady pull and a brass mallet, it should pop off at that point.
Sounds bizare, but it works!
Moral of this story, don't drink Coke or Pepsi, it will rot your Teeth!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
If the engine caqn be sat upright on the flywheel end on 2x4's prefferably. Take some Coca Cola fresh from a can and pur it into the top of the crank snout and let it sit for a day, then clean it out and spray some Liquid Wrench brand remover in and let that sit for a day. Also works great for removing fronzen piston/ring assemblies from rusted bores!
Then do as Young said with the steady pull and a brass mallet, it should pop off at that point.
Sounds bizare, but it works!
Moral of this story, don't drink Coke or Pepsi, it will rot your Teeth!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Never heard of that - but mental note was made. Amazing how so many everyday items can be put to use on a boat....
Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered

Ok, I'll wack it a couple times tonight & then try the coke thing. LOL

I'm not sure what kind of balancer it is. I don't think its original. Its rubber ring is already showing wear so I'll replace it.

Thanks guys
Old 04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Does your puller have a rotator bearing? If you do not have one it builds up friction and will not turn.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Registered

Coke is best penetrating fluid! But dont ever drink the rest of the can. It has to be coca cola others dont work the same.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Registered

I've had this problem before. It was always the same; I forgot to take the big fat washer out after removing the large balancer bolt from the end of the crank.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

The puller doesn't have a bearing, just a cap. The cap cracked & fell out after I hit the bolt a couple times last night.

I'm trying Ray's method now. I'll clean out the coke & put in liquid wrench tonight.

I checked for a washer a couple times thinking that had to be it?

Last edited by Itsallgood995; 04-30-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

PB Blast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.