Tow Vehicle 2005 F-250 4x4 >

Tow Vehicle 2005 F-250 4x4

Notices

Tow Vehicle 2005 F-250 4x4

Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I have not seen a answer to a couple questions about the tires ? what load range ? d-e ? seen this happen when some try to get a better ride and try c's. also slop in the steering box
will effect this as well, next do you know what the caster setting is on the truck ? even though it may not be adustable, not sure on this truck, but older fords were not thru normal alignment, a very high amount of positive caster will cause this as well and seems may be the issue here if all else has been checked...if could get that measurment and post it that would be a big help. I spend 17 years doing suspension work at a ford dealership. Also on the explorer issue, ford threw the blame on firestone, when they were as much to blame...they could not get the explorer to pass the rollover test when the tire pressure was set at a normal 32-35 psi setting...they found that they need 26 psi to get it to pass, so thats what pressure they put on their specs..way to low in reality..so you take a top heavy narrow vehicle drop the tire pressure to low to start..then most people never ck tire pressure so people ended up less than 20 a lot of times and the tires overheated from low tire pressure and the rest is history...Rob
My truck only has 44,000 on it. I purchaced it with 18,000. It has always done it. When I bought the truck it had BF Goodrich AT's. The dealer blamed it on the tires so I purchaed new ones. I now have Yokohama AT's (a less aggresive tire) stock height I run 48psi tire states 51psi max. The tire issue is just a copp out anyway. I don't think it matters what tire you put on it. It is a design flaw in the truck. I also replaced the shocks and stabilzer with Rancho's. I do not know any of the specs for alignment. If enough people file complaints to NHTSA they will have to reopen the investigation.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 06 F350, I no longer drive this truck it just sits in my drive way due to this problem. I have 72,000 miles truck, I have taken it to four different front end shops. Every bushing, tie rod end, shock, ball joint, you name it and its new on my truck. I also tried different tires. I have managed a tire shop for ten years when I got the letter in the mail, I laughed because it is a bunch of crap. There is a real problem here and somebody will have to die before FORD fixes it.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fat matt
I also have a 06 F350, I no longer drive this truck it just sits in my drive way due to this problem. I have 72,000 miles truck, I have taken it to four different front end shops. Every bushing, tie rod end, shock, ball joint, you name it and its new on my truck. I also tried different tires. I have managed a tire shop for ten years when I got the letter in the mail, I laughed because it is a bunch of crap. There is a real problem here and somebody will have to die before FORD fixes it.
Be sure to file your complaint with NHTSA. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ Thanks for the reply. Lets keep the thread going. The more complaints they get the better.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Ford's service bulletin on this issue only addresses the inflation pressure....I got so pissed off at my truck 07 F-250 4x4 I installed a 6" suspension lift that converts to 4 link. This has corrected the problem. At stock height unloaded my truck would "shimmy" so bad it would cause it to lose control on wet pavement!!! I have to admit the truck always drove fine with a load on it at stock height......empty was another story. I believed it to be a caster issue with the radius arm suspension which is why i converted to 4 link......hope this helps
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 454captiva
Ford's service bulletin on this issue only addresses the inflation pressure....I got so pissed off at my truck 07 F-250 4x4 I installed a 6" suspension lift that converts to 4 link. This has corrected the problem. At stock height unloaded my truck would "shimmy" so bad it would cause it to lose control on wet pavement!!! I have to admit the truck always drove fine with a load on it at stock height......empty was another story. I believed it to be a caster issue with the radius arm suspension which is why i converted to 4 link......hope this helps
Even thought you corrected your problem it would be helpful to the rest of us if you filed a complaint also. At least you could vent a little of your frustration. Thanks,
Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Registered

If the max inflation pressure on your tires is 51 PSI you are running a lightweight tire on a heavy duty truck. The truck calls for load range E. Max inflation is I believe 80 PSI! I think my 07 calls for 75 PSI inflation on the door sticker. Yeah load range E tires cost damn near twice but it is what the manufacturer calls for. Would you run tires rated for 100 MPH on a vette and then go run 180 MPH? I would love to know if changing to the right load range tires on your truck would correct your problem.
Originally Posted by jeffswav
My truck only has 44,000 on it. I purchaced it with 18,000. It has always done it. When I bought the truck it had BF Goodrich AT's. The dealer blamed it on the tires so I purchaed new ones. I now have Yokohama AT's (a less aggresive tire) stock height I run 48psi tire states 51psi max. The tire issue is just a copp out anyway. I don't think it matters what tire you put on it. It is a design flaw in the truck. I also replaced the shocks and stabilzer with Rancho's. I do not know any of the specs for alignment. If enough people file complaints to NHTSA they will have to reopen the investigation.

Last edited by pachanga; 05-04-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 05 f350d with only 18000 miles on it. same problem.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your tires are dead wrong !!!! they are load range c's, you need to put on e's now, they do carry a 80 psi rating, look on your door tag for the tire rating and correct pressure..I cannot beleive you have been dealing with a dealer and thats not the first thing they should have caught !!! and don't beleive for a minute that tires wil not cause the issue, but if you are convinced that it's the truck may I suggest a 2500HD GM with a duramax...love mine and yes I have load range e's on it as well, as a matter of fact it is now illegal for a tire shop to go down on the load ratings recomended on the door !!! so in one case your tire shop is at fault to a degree, but sounds like you have been dealing with a hole line of idiots up there to me...Rob

Last edited by ezstriper; 05-04-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by racinfever
I have 05 f350d with only 18000 miles on it. same problem.
Do you have stock tires?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Registered

I would go a step further and wager your tires on the frontend are overloaded! That diesel and 4wd make for a very heavy frontend.

I don't know if dealers have learned yet. I bought a new 99 F 350 4WD and the dealership...factory as well I assume delivered the truck with like 30 PSI in the tires! Sure the ride is softer but give me a break!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.