350 to 383 Same upper? >

350 to 383 Same upper?

Notices

350 to 383 Same upper?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 to 383 Same upper?

I found this site while looking for information and its been a great help. I searched the forums for but most people seem to have newer engines and I just needed some clarification.

I just got a 1979 20' sea ray for cheap, it has a dead 350 mercruiser at the moment that I am pulling Saturday to rebuild. If I decide to stroke it to a 383 can I use the same uppers (carb, intake, cam and exhaust)? I am not really looking for that much more power, but because it's going to be apart I thought why not.

Thanks for the help and a great site for information.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

you will certainly gain by stroking the engine however I would cerainly entertain the thought investing in some additional parts. If your on a budget at the moment then go ahead and change your rotating assm. You can always do the ad ons later such as head upgrade, cam, intake and carb. All these components taylored to your use will add a nice package.

Hope this helps you out a bit. Let us know what your looking to spend max and you will probably get some responses as to your options.

Good luck and have fun.

John
Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Registered

I know I should upgrade other stuff with it, but I want to get it on the water as fast and cheap as possible. Would the 383 stroker kit work with the stock heads and cam?

Also what do you think of this kit?
http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/produ...953&CtgID=9048

I do know that a lot people don't like the cast pistons but I am not putting a lot of power threw it.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 AM
Registered

It will work on any upper from 305-400 (heads / intake) except the 5700 Vortec (piston clearance issues).

You may already have a decent set of heads on that block, mercruiser didn't muck around with the low comp truck heads or small valve heads but they didn't go the LT1 heads or 'Double Bump' heads either.

Check this site: http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
against your block and head numbers (head numbers are under the valve covers - sorry if that's suck eggs) it will tell you how big your chambers and valves are which will help you figure out what your new set up will go like.

Stock intakes are crap on the 350 mercs. Get a cheap used aftermarket intake off ebay that fits and you'll be thankful. If you can find a decent used carb (Holley 750DP) get it, rebuild it and have J-Tubes put in, marinising is over rated unless you'r leaving the boat in the water. You'll need a longer duration cam but that can wait till it's all up and running. I may have some of my old small block stuff from my race boat lying around (1.6 Roller rockers, an SB2 NASCAR cam etc). If I can find it it's yours if you want it.

Do the lower end, keep the upper, get it running then fix the performance up in bits like carb, then intake, then cam. That way you know where your shortfalls with the package lay and you know what to look for in a cam to fix it!