lost coolant

Notices

lost coolant

Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile I AM Here!

Twin-Spins:

You sound very concerned, do you have Raylar kits on your engines in your Baja, I don't recognize your screen name or your boat. If you have Raylar kits are your heads leaking?
Yes we have hundreds of Raylar heads all over the world since 2002 and I only know of a tiny few ( one or two customers)who have ever had a leak from the head. Our serial numbers on heads now number according to our book number 612 out there and thats a pretty good representation of of our product and any potential for problems as two or three heads with an issue. We don't ever claim we can always make perfect parts as no manufacturer can. We do however stand behind our product above and beyond the call of duty on warranty and even BoatingBent knows we supplied a new head for his engine even after his kit had been used for three seasons. Try buying an Edelbrock, Dart, Merlin or AFR pair of heads and going back to those manufacturers for a warranty on a cylinder head after two or three years of use! They won't even return the phone call! because the warranties of these manufacturers cover no marine high performance usage, let alone 2 or 3 years of use before a warranty claim!

SD Fever, your engine is less than one year old and if there is a problem with your head from a potential leak we will repair or replace the head as needed. It is also important to know that all the head bolts are wet, they all go into the water jacket of the 496 and if the thread sealant is not put on initially adequately, the head bolts can drip or leak coolant . As always my phone is always on and I am willing to discuss anyones 496 problems, especially on Raylar equipped 496's. I just don't want this thread to be perceived as though there is some big problem out there with Raylar cylinder heads, as I know there isn't!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 05-19-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar

It is also important to know that all the head bolts are wet, they all go into the water jacket of the 496 and if the thread sealant is not put on initially adequately, the head bolts can drip or leak coolant . As always my phone is always on and I am willing to discuss anyones 496 problems, especially on Raylar equipped 496's. I just don't want this thread to be perceived as though there is some big problem out there with Raylar cylinder heads, as I know there isn't!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

I agree with you Ray, I don't believe my coolant leak is caused by the Raylar heads either, I think the re&re of the heads and resealing of the head bolts is the problem.
I'm wondering if the sealant is getting pushed off the threads as the bolt goes into the block. My most recent attempt involved cleaning the threads with brake clean and a rifle brush, blow dry with compressed air (repeated about ten times), and then applied Permatex High Performance to the threads in the block with a small screwdriver as well as to the bolt threads. I threaded the bolts slowly and let cure for two days before refilling.
After filling and running on the hose up to temp (for about 15mins), there's no leaks! Fingers crossed for water test this weekend.
My concern now is if the ARP bolts can be retorqued that many times without losing their stretch?

Last edited by raeburn; 05-06-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by raeburn
I agree with you Ray, I don't believe my coolant leak is caused by the Raylar heads either, I think the re&re of the heads and resealing of the head bolts is the problem. It is interesting that on mine and sdfever's the leaks are the same bolts on #2 and #4, but I'm thinking it's to do with the threads in the block.
After trying Permatex High Temp, ARP Racing, and Permatex High Performance with no success (would start dripping as soon as I'd fill the coolant!), I noticed that each time I removed the bolts the the sealant was wiped completely clean from the threads (no matter how much I gooped on).
I'm wondering if the sealant is getting pushed off the threads as the bolt goes into the block. My most recent attempt involved cleaning the threads with brake clean and a rifle brush, blow dry with compressed air (repeated about ten times), and then applied Permatex High Performance to the threads in the block with a small screwdriver as well as to the bolt threads. I threaded the bolts slowly and let cure for two days before refilling.
After filling and running on the hose up to temp (for about 15mins), there's no leaks! Fingers crossed for water test this weekend.
My concern now is if the ARP bolts can be retorqued that many times without losing their stretch?
First, the ARP Bolts are able to be reused no problem. The factory bolts are Torque-to-yield and they claim you should not re-use them. That is actually debateable... Moving forward -

I think I've found the solution to the head bolts leaking and I'll share it with you asap. I won't have time to do it until after the holiday weekend but I will do my part to help you all out. More later.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
Go to your local auto parts store and buy a bottle of Irontite and add it to your coolant. This stuff will seal just about anything !!! As far as replacing a head after 3 seasons that is going waaaay beyond the call of duty!!!!!!!!! keep up the good work Ray.
No offense but please don't do this unless you want your coolant tank to be chit ugly... Lemme try my plan B first and I'll let you know.

3 years is pretty darn good service.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Raeburn:

I spent some serious time with SDFever going over how to remove the head bolts one at a time, drain the coolant, clean the threads in the block , clean the bolt threads, reseal with some new sealer SDFever came up with and hopefully stop these nagging little leaks. I am sure he will go over the process in detail and if we ever find its a head issue we will address that then for sure! enjoy your boat be safe and have fun!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
First, the ARP Bolts are able to be reused no problem. The factory bolts are Torque-to-yield and they claim you should not re-use them. That is actually debateable... Moving forward -

I think I've found the solution to the head bolts leaking and I'll share it with you asap. I won't have time to do it until after the holiday weekend but I will do my part to help you all out. More later.
Good to know about the ARP bolts - thanks. Let us know how you make out, hope you have good results.

Last edited by raeburn; 05-20-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Raeburn:

I spent some serious time with SDFever going over how to remove the head bolts one at a time, drain the coolant, clean the threads in the block , clean the bolt threads, reseal with some new sealer SDFever came up with and hopefully stop these nagging little leaks. I am sure he will go over the process in detail and if we ever find its a head issue we will address that then for sure! enjoy your boat be safe and have fun!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks Ray,

I know we will find a solution to this annoyance. In the mean time I plan on enjoying the boating season. A little coolant leak won't get in my way!
I ran mine a bit today and one of the bolts started weeping a little - nothing like before, but still not 100% fixed. Curious to hear how SDfever makes out.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
I would rather have a chit ugly coolant tank than real pretty anti freeze leaking from the head bolts and laying in the bilage but thats just me. good luck with your leak, Jeff
Well you got me on that one. Neither is good.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever

How'd you make out SDFever? Mine are still dripping, not as bad as before, but still annoying. I think I will wait till the fall before I make another attempt at sealing them and just run the boat for the summer, keeping a close eye on it.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by raeburn
How'd you make out SDFever? Mine are still dripping, not as bad as before, but still annoying. I think I will wait till the fall before I make another attempt at sealing them and just run the boat for the summer, keeping a close eye on it.
Actually working on right after the 4th. No use in tearing the boat down until after. Just been busy at work and every time I start getting ready I either have to drop it or it's a nice day and I wind up running it.

It's really hard to work on a boat with my boating schedule.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.