Bleeding Latham Hydraulic steering >

Bleeding Latham Hydraulic steering

Notices

Bleeding Latham Hydraulic steering

Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Well the wife had some business to attend to this morning so I went for a motorcyle ride over to some friends that own an independent bike shop and killed some time. The wife got back home around noon and I was ready to go. I explained to her exactly what we were going to do and she was good with it and she did a great job of keeping the resevoir full and turning the wheel for me.

The look on her face was priceless the first time I came out from behind the boat. She saw me put hearing protection on and goggles over my glasses. But when I stepped out from the back of the boat 100% soaking wet she was shocked!

It was not hard at all but it was not pleasent with the motor running and no way to hide from the water spray.

We ran three quarts of tranny fluid through the system. There definately was a lot of air in the system which was expected because I had cracked a line open to install the new filter.

I repeated the entire process three times to be 100% sure all was good. The wife turned the wheel back and fourth lock to lock at least 20 times. She said it felt great and did not catch even once.

After I got a shower and dry clothes on I got back in the boat and tried it myself and while it does seem to be much better it does not seem 100%. I wish I had another boat right now to compare it to. We were down all last year and I really cannot remember exactly how smooth it felt before we did all this work.

I'll just have to get the boat to the lake and test it out. Hopefully it will not catch as it did before and hopefully I will not have to replace the helm.

Again thanks for all the responses. It makes a job much easier going into it knowing how to do it and what to expect.

Take care guys

Happy Boating
Doc, the only thing I clearly see you messed up on is the fact that you should have put here under the swim step to do the bleeding while you have a beer and turn the wheel.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to the top

I had a chance to run the boat yesterday and there is still a problem. It is better but not completely right. I was still getting the same problem just not as bad and not as often. One thing I did notice was it was worse after I had been running at speed and was slowing and coming off plane.

The steering never gave me any trouble at all before we did the new engines and the rigging last winter.

Changes we made:

We did add two hoses inline with the exsting hoses to make the length longer which make the rigging cleaner. These hoses are the same type and diameter as the original factory hoses and there is a brass coupler between them. They are two feet in length. Could this be a problem?????????????????

We relocated the filter housing from the front of the engine compartment to the transom. I did replace the filter a couple of weeks ago when we bled the system again.

I put a brand new power steering pump on the new motor. I thought I purchased the same exact pump that came off the 500 EFI that we were running before. Is there such a thing as the wrong pump???? Can this be the problem?

When the guys tried to bleed the system the first time they ahd a real problem and discovered that they crossed the hoses on the terminal block at the transom. Can this be the problem??? Did they damage something?

I'm at a loss and again appreciate all your replies.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Back to the top

I had a chance to run the boat yesterday and there is still a problem. It is better but not completely right. I was still getting the same problem just not as bad and not as often. One thing I did notice was it was worse after I had been running at speed and was slowing and coming off plane.

The steering never gave me any trouble at all before we did the new engines and the rigging last winter.

Changes we made:

We did add two hoses inline with the exsting hoses to make the length longer which make the rigging cleaner. These hoses are the same type and diameter as the original factory hoses and there is a brass coupler between them. They are two feet in length. Could this be a problem?????????????????

We relocated the filter housing from the front of the engine compartment to the transom. I did replace the filter a couple of weeks ago when we bled the system again.

I put a brand new power steering pump on the new motor. I thought I purchased the same exact pump that came off the 500 EFI that we were running before. Is there such a thing as the wrong pump???? Can this be the problem?

When the guys tried to bleed the system the first time they ahd a real problem and discovered that they crossed the hoses on the terminal block at the transom. Can this be the problem??? Did they damage something?

I'm at a loss and again appreciate all your replies.
If they reversed the hoses it will just respond backwards, no harm done. I would recommend putting your old PS pump on. It sounds like there is something floating around in the relief valve of the pump. Maybe chards from rigging fittings on to the new lines? Anyway, this valve is what the high pressure line screws in to in the pump. That is if you have a regular GM type pump. I fought the same symptoms as you one season. Usually it happen at or near WOT and was abosolutely alarming and dangerous.

I found crap in that valve after I replaced the pump and had time to tear it down. I have since reinstalled the pump that was acting up and it works normally again since I cleaned out the pressure valve.

BT
Old 06-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody always says it bleeds it self,
This is on Marine Machine steering
I disconnect the ram from the drives to let the rams fully extend and retrack,because the rams may not be moving the 100%,Mine lacks 1 1/2 inch because of the mounts on the B Max Rear cap. Also think if your wing plates might be off some to? Disconect the drive from the rams

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ring-bled.html

filter
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...id-filter.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...ve-system.html

also the pump could have lower press,theres different orifice sizes.My 70 Chevelle had the largest I have come across.
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html

copied,http://www.everettperformance.com/

BLEEDIG STEERIG SYSTEM
This should be conducted by two (2) people
Fill power steering pump to the correct line on the dipstick with automatic
transmission fluid, then remove cap. If using a remote reservoir, fill to line
on reservoir.
Without starting the engine, begin turning the steering wheel one direction
until steering bottoms out. Now turn the wheel the opposite direction until
steering bottoms out. While performing these steps continue checking fluid
level in power steering pump. Through this procedure make sure the fluid
level remains high enough not to induce air into the system. Too much fluid
in pump may cause overflow.
The fluid level will fluctuate; continue turning the steering wheel back and
forth, to bottom, until fluid level remains at the full mark. At this point turn
steering wheel one direction until the steering bottoms out. At the transom
brackets on the outside of boat, slightly loosen the fittings on the hoses
opposite the hoses that moved the steering to the current bottomed out
position. Example: if a cylinder is extended when bottomed out, loosen the transom
bracket hose end that would charge the rod end side.
Now begin turning the steering wheel slowly the other direction. When the
oil flows with no air out of the loosened fittings, tighten fittings. Continue
turning in the same direction until steering bottoms out and repeat on
opposite hose fittings. When all of the air is out of the system, start engine
and test steering at idle.

Hope this helps.
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by blue thunder
If they reversed the hoses it will just respond backwards, no harm done. I would recommend putting your old PS pump on. It sounds like there is something floating around in the relief valve of the pump. Maybe chards from rigging fittings on to the new lines? Anyway, this valve is what the high pressure line screws in to in the pump. That is if you have a regular GM type pump. I fought the same symptoms as you one season. Usually it happen at or near WOT and was abosolutely alarming and dangerous.

I found crap in that valve after I replaced the pump and had time to tear it down. I have since reinstalled the pump that was acting up and it works normally again since I cleaned out the pressure valve.

BT

Thanks BT

I'm thinking you are correct and I suspect the pump. No I do not have the original one as I sold it with the engine. I am going to try and bleed the system one more time and if that does not work I plan to change the pump next.

Thank you very much.

Doc
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Everybody always says it bleeds it self,
This is on Marine Machine steering

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ring-bled.html

filter
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...id-filter.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...ve-system.html

also the pump could have lower press,theres different orifice sizes.My 70 Chevelle had the largest I have come across.
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html

copied,http://www.everettperformance.com/

BLEEDIG STEERIG SYSTEM
This should be conducted by two (2) people
Fill power steering pump to the correct line on the dipstick with automatic
transmission fluid, then remove cap. If using a remote reservoir, fill to line
on reservoir.
Without starting the engine, begin turning the steering wheel one direction
until steering bottoms out. Now turn the wheel the opposite direction until
steering bottoms out. While performing these steps continue checking fluid
level in power steering pump. Through this procedure make sure the fluid
level remains high enough not to induce air into the system. Too much fluid
in pump may cause overflow.
The fluid level will fluctuate; continue turning the steering wheel back and
forth, to bottom, until fluid level remains at the full mark. At this point turn
steering wheel one direction until the steering bottoms out. At the transom
brackets on the outside of boat, slightly loosen the fittings on the hoses
opposite the hoses that moved the steering to the current bottomed out
position. Example: if a cylinder is extended when bottomed out, loosen the transom
bracket hose end that would charge the rod end side.
Now begin turning the steering wheel slowly the other direction. When the
oil flows with no air out of the loosened fittings, tighten fittings. Continue
turning in the same direction until steering bottoms out and repeat on
opposite hose fittings. When all of the air is out of the system, start engine
and test steering at idle.

Hope this helps.
Rob
Rob,

That is some great information my friend. You are alright I don't care what Boos says about you! LOL

Clicking on those links took be back to some really good discussions on the topic.

I hope to try it again tomorrow night if I get home at a good hour. We are trying to get ready to head down to Jacksonville this week. Are you coming to the run?

Thanks
Doc
Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 AM
Registered

Mark I've had my system open a couple times for filter as well as pulling motors and have never had to bleed it. I just put more fluid in resevoir and it basically bled itself. I'm guessing as stated above you got something in pump. I'd go there first.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you use an Auto pump ?..You may need to drill the orifice to 11/64s.Imco says to do this when changing pumps to //hyd. system
Old 06-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by birdog
Did you use an Auto pump ?..You may need to drill the orifice to 11/64s.Imco says to do this when changing pumps to //hyd. system
No I bought a Mercury pump from BAM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

There is one other thing I just thought of. When they rigged the boat they used a drill on the shaft of the pump to spin it and bleed the system so they did not have to crank the engine. I had never heard of this before but it seemed like a good idea at the time. You would think that if did not bleed that we would have got it the last time. I hope I still just have some air in the system and I will try again tonight. If that does not work I plan to buy another pump.

Thanks for the replies and I’ll keep you posted on the results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.