Notices

Which Pro Charger for 950+ hp

Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
What happened when your scattered?
I was doing wot testing just after installing a exstension box,I was at wot building up speed and all of a sudden I heard a bunch of screeching and boat slowed down. I immediately yanked the throttle back then shut motor off. Initial inspection on the water I could see the impeller was chewed to hell and casing was scarred. I unhooked the hose connecting the innercooler to throttle body,there was slight aluminum dust/debris in inlet to manifold. I wiped out what I could reach and being I was out in the bay 8 miles from the boat launch I took blower drive belt off and limped boat back to the dock (no one around to tow me).
I pulled upper plenum off top of intake (502 mpi) and rammed oil soaked rags down intake runners to try to wipe any aluminum out of the motor. Not much had gotten past the innercooler. I pulled the plugs and there was nothing I could see on them. I did a compression test and leakdown test on the motor,the numbers were still good. As far as the actual supercharger/head unit ,I tore it down and all the bearings,internal drive gears,shafts and impellor were destroyed. Called up procharger and inquired as to how long to get repaired,was 6-8 weeks being middle of summer. It would have been fall before I got it back,asked price and how soon I could get a brand new head unit,was still 4 plus weeks and almost as much cash as a complete kit. I bought 2 low hour complete m-3 kits off Cigdaze on this board,had boat back together in less than 2 weeks.
My head unit was 6 years old and had 350 hours on it when it let go,I had called Procharger the previous winter and inquired on how long I should run it before having it rebuilt,they said it should be fine,maybe after 500 hours. Well that was just stupid on my part,I turn the blower as high as 58,000-59,000 rpm's and it's only rated for 50,000 so I should have ALREADY had it rebuilt. I recently sent what was left of it back to procharger,they charged me about 1850$ to rebuild it which I really don't feel was real high considering the changed everthing but the external casing/volute body (the damage it had was superficial,I polished them parts smooth before sending it back). I did power wash the innercooler and blow air /carb solvent thru the core until it was spotless before putting it back into service. When I rebuilt that motor the following winter I did not really see any kind of scoring or damage I could attribute to the ground up aluminum from the blower failing,Smitty
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Artic,
Did you have the procharger that required engine oil with drain or the self contained unit?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Artic,
Did you have the procharger that required engine oil with drain or the self contained unit?
M-3sc,self contained,Smitty
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
I was doing wot testing just after installing a exstension box,I was at wot building up speed and all of a sudden I heard a bunch of screeching and boat slowed down. I immediately yanked the throttle back then shut motor off. Initial inspection on the water I could see the impeller was chewed to hell and casing was scarred. I unhooked the hose connecting the innercooler to throttle body,there was slight aluminum dust/debris in inlet to manifold. I wiped out what I could reach and being I was out in the bay 8 miles from the boat launch I took blower drive belt off and limped boat back to the dock (no one around to tow me).
I pulled upper plenum off top of intake (502 mpi) and rammed oil soaked rags down intake runners to try to wipe any aluminum out of the motor. Not much had gotten past the innercooler. I pulled the plugs and there was nothing I could see on them. I did a compression test and leakdown test on the motor,the numbers were still good. As far as the actual supercharger/head unit ,I tore it down and all the bearings,internal drive gears,shafts and impellor were destroyed. Called up procharger and inquired as to how long to get repaired,was 6-8 weeks being middle of summer. It would have been fall before I got it back,asked price and how soon I could get a brand new head unit,was still 4 plus weeks and almost as much cash as a complete kit. I bought 2 low hour complete m-3 kits off Cigdaze on this board,had boat back together in less than 2 weeks.
My head unit was 6 years old and had 350 hours on it when it let go,I had called Procharger the previous winter and inquired on how long I should run it before having it rebuilt,they said it should be fine,maybe after 500 hours. Well that was just stupid on my part,I turn the blower as high as 58,000-59,000 rpm's and it's only rated for 50,000 so I should have ALREADY had it rebuilt. I recently sent what was left of it back to procharger,they charged me about 1850$ to rebuild it which I really don't feel was real high considering the changed everthing but the external casing/volute body (the damage it had was superficial,I polished them parts smooth before sending it back). I did power wash the innercooler and blow air /carb solvent thru the core until it was spotless before putting it back into service. When I rebuilt that motor the following winter I did not really see any kind of scoring or damage I could attribute to the ground up aluminum from the blower failing,Smitty
I just "scattered" one recently. That is why I asked. I don't turn it past the rated RPM and only had between 70-80 hours on it at the most. My experience was similar to yours but I did get the blower back quicker.

What a mess.