Exhaust Manifold Driping? >

Exhaust Manifold Driping?

Notices

Exhaust Manifold Driping?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold Driping?

So, I was running the boat on the garden hose today and noticed that both manifolds are dripping water slowly, one spot on each side. The boat is a 1999 Baja Hammer with a 454 non mag with 160 hours. How bad is this? I'm guessing it was happening last year but I never noticed it? Should I replace them asap? or can it wait? Money is a little tight, what do ya guys think? Thanks, Jake
Old 05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HammerJake
So, I was running the boat on the garden hose today and noticed that both manifolds are dripping water slowly, one spot on each side. The boat is a 1999 Baja Hammer with a 454 non mag with 160 hours. How bad is this? I'm guessing it was happening last year but I never noticed it? Should I replace them asap? or can it wait? Money is a little tight, what do ya guys think? Thanks, Jake
If they're leaking where you can see them what about if they're leaking where you can't???? A tight budget now will be worse later if you fill the engine with water.

Better to take them off and insure a dry engine and then fix it later when you have extra green.

You should be able to just get them off at least to satisfy your concern. Just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
If they're leaking where you can see them what about if they're leaking where you can't???? A tight budget now will be worse later if you fill the engine with water.

Better to take them off and insure a dry engine and then fix it later when you have extra green.

You should be able to just get them off at least to satisfy your concern. Just my opinion.
x 2 the parts are not that much right now BUT it will be soon. And you might have enough help "here" to do the work your self to save on some labor time. Just my opinion also.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 AM
Registered

First of all, where exactly are they leaking? Where the riser comes off the manifold I'm guessing? Pics would help.

That is the common place they start leaking. You need to pull the risers off and replace the gaskets.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Registered

they are leaking next to the bolt heads that fasten the manifold to the head.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HammerJake
they are leaking next to the bolt heads that fasten the manifold to the head.
See again, to make sure it doesn't go from bad to worse pull the whole thing off and make sure it's not getting in the cylinder(s).

Although it's common for the riser gaskets etc to fail first, this does not always apply especially if for instance a lot of guys buy risers at a different time then when the manifolds were bought. If you bought a used boat or engine it goes on and on.. Pull off both sides and have a look. It's cheap to do it yourself.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Angry

Could they of froze over the winter??
Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Throttle Fever
Could they of froze over the winter??
That was what I was thinking. Seems strange they would both start leaking at the same time.

I would pull them both off and do a complete inspection looking for cracks. If all looks good install them back on with NEW gaskets and bolts and you can count your self lucky.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with these guys. Do not gamble with water leaking. Riser joints are a common failure, however you should see water leaking at the joint. It they are cracked they may leak between the manifold and head. I would pull them off and inspect them. If they need replaced get a good aftermarket manifold. I use the EMI Thunders, many others are available.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Registered

I got a nice set of new manifolds for $320 for a BBC off Ebay. Good quality and a good price.look around.