Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil pushing out of dipstick end, 502 mpi >

Oil pushing out of dipstick end, 502 mpi

Notices

Oil pushing out of dipstick end, 502 mpi

Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or bad/leaking exhaust manifold will put water on the plugs but least likely in this case. Or bad intake manifold or gasket.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boat teck
Or bad/leaking exhaust manifold will put water on the plugs but least likely in this case. Or bad intake manifold or gasket.
why do you think the manifold would be the least likely case? I guess the thing that get's me, is why only the 3 out of 8 plugs, and just on the one side. I'd think if the intake was bad, it would be all plugs, and the crankcase would be filling with water as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Registered

Well, the boat is going to the shop saturday. The first thing they will be checking is the Impco powerflow manifolds, they will be sent to the factory for pressure testing. Also, they will be checking the riser gaskets that they installed to see if they were leaking; also the riser flanges for warping. That's the first step, and go from there. I'll keep ya all posted.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 PM

didn't read anyone else's answer but check an make sure someone didn't stick in an automotive PCV valve, happens everytime when they use them
Old 05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FasterThanU87
didn't read anyone else's answer but check an make sure someone didn't stick in an automotive PCV valve, happens everytime when they use them
I did the breather system. There is just a couple of plastic elbows there now. I'm not sure how the breather system would effect 3 out of 8 spark plugs though. What are you getting at?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
why do you think the manifold would be the least likely case? I guess the thing that get's me, is why only the 3 out of 8 plugs, and just on the one side. I'd think if the intake was bad, it would be all plugs, and the crankcase would be filling with water as well.
you are right I could be wrong on this. The manifolds are always first to go out in a lot of cases. The only reason I said that is because I don't think you did not have this problem with water, Before the rebulid but I could be wrong. And If that is the case then maybe the manifolds are why you needed a rebulid in the frist place. I am just saying right now it is all guess work right now over the web and you need to look at everything that could go wrong even after a fresh rebulid job any thing can happen. Sorry I do not mean to scare you just help is all.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boat teck
you are right I could be wrong on this. The manifolds are always first to go out in a lot of cases. The only reason I said that is because I don't think you did not have this problem with water, Before the rebulid but I could be wrong. And If that is the case then maybe the manifolds are why you needed a rebulid in the frist place. I am just saying right now it is all guess work right now over the web and you need to look at everything that could go wrong even after a fresh rebulid job any thing can happen. Sorry I do not mean to scare you just help is all.
No worries, i can't be anymore scared than I already was....

When i first got this boat, and the breathers were hooked up according to mercruiser, other than having the short hose going to the arrester, and butted up to the eddie marine arrester, i was getting some of the same sort of gunk and snot from the breather line that was spurting out on different things. That could have been signs of things going south then, but i just got the boat, and didn't think anything of it. Hence I teed the lines, and put it up to the hose barb to be less messy. It's possible there was a problem then, or it could have been lack of oil temp too. Don't know. But, i do know the manifolds will be checked, riser gaskets will be rechecked, and riser flanges checked for warping. That's the first step the shop is going to take.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered

I have talked to the boat shop, and engine shop, two different places, same city. The engine shop i'm working with is Goodwin Competition. The main guy there doesn't think the exhaust is leaking water that i would actually burn when running, creating moisture in the breathers. He says, if it's that amount of water, it would start to hydro lock the motor. From the little bit of research i've done, it seems possible in my mind that the motor could be burning a small amount of water and then getting the breathing system restrictive with junk. The motor has never had any problems turning over or starting. Little bit of a ruff idle was apparent first start of the year, but that's about it. Any comments.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Registered

Well, i pulled the plugs out again tonight, and turned the motor over like the engine guy wanted. Water spray would come out of the middle two cylinders on the left side, looking at the engine from the front. Everything else seemed dry. Not alot of water, but noticeable, i could see water droplets on the top of those pistons as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Registered

Well, here's the latest. IMCO checked out my manifolds and said there are no problems with them or the risers. The marine shop and engine builder have spoken with the guys at IMCO, and IMCO is saying that the riser I'm currently using will not work with my cam. My engine is basically a 502 mpi, that has been brought up to HP 500 specs. The cam is a crane 226/236 .587 .610 112 hyd. roller. I have silent choice exhuast that is IMCO as well. Right now i have the 02-6108 risers for silent choice. http://imcomarine.com/ca_store/index...cPath=16_57_72
Mr. IMCO is saying that this particular riser would cause reversion with my engine setup. IMCO says i need to either run the 02-6096 (meaning no silent choice) or the 02-6109. I don't think i will have room under my hatch to go with any larger riser. My engine builer is not in total agreement, and says the cam is pretty mild. He is still theorizing himself. They are going to do pressure tests on the motor tomorrow. I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Last edited by cloudmaster_321; 06-08-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.