Need some mechanical help >

Need some mechanical help

Notices

Need some mechanical help

Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some mechanical help

Just bought a 95 271 sr1.. Took it out this past weekend and everything worked great.. On sat though i took it out and after running it out in the ocean for about a half hr came back in to the back waters and next thing i know i smell something burning underneath the dash panel.. smelled electrical.. Then it started to overheat so i shut it down and then i guess to it being so hot it would crank back over. I let it sit for a while to cool off and then it was cranking again but wouldnt start. the cranks were weak though, seemed like the starter or battery was running low. I'm just glad that it was cranking again that way i know nothing too major was going on. What do you guys think might be the problem??

Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Registered

It's hard to tell at this point but it sound like your power and gronunds touched some places, You will need to start looking around and tracing all the wires stating at the batteries over to the starter looking for loose or melted wires by touching them all. When you say it over heated I am guessing the temp gauge was over 200 degrees. Did you see smoke from under the dash? Some times when the impeller burns up it can kind of smell like electrical burn because you would either smell the rubber burn or you could smell the paint burning off the engine area. Good luck with it.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Registered

yeah there was some smoke coming from under the dash and def smelled like electrical burns.. Yeah the temp got up to around 200 before i shut it down.. could i have sucked something up and caused the overheating?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered

Yes you could have sucked up something for a little bit. Did the temp go back down after time had passed? And did you go to go home under your own power? And when was the last time you changed the impeller out, you should be doing at least every other year to be safe.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Registered

yeah the temp went down after i let it sit for a little while but after that when i went to crank it but up it was cranking really weak.. thats why i'm thinking something is going on either with the battery, alternator, or starter.. No i just bought the boat, not sure when the last time the impeller was replaced.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered

oh and no i didnt make it back under my own power, after it cranked so weak i didnt want to possibly break anything else so i just had a friend pull me in..
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Registered

Are you going to take it to a shop, Or try to find and fix it your self?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Take it in to a good mechanic. It doesn't sound like you have the experience to troubleshoot this and then it becomes a guessing game.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered

I'll most likely take it in to get checked out.. The mechanical issue (alternator, battery, or starter) i can take care of but as far as the smoke coming from the wiring i'll have that checked out cause it could be anything