Notices

Fuel

Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel

I have an 185 gallon tank and with boat laid up with probably 150 gallons with fuel treatment over winter do I have any limit on time to run boat soon or will gas hold up alittle longer. Also, do you guys ever put alittle of the stabilizer during the summer months. Because, sometimes a few weeks at a time might go buy before I run it. I have to run 93 octane in it due to the blowers etc.... Does the stabilizer hurt anything in engine???

Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you run E10 or pure Gas? If it is E10 stabilizer will not help from fuel separation. I empty the tank in the fall and fill as needed in the spring. When using E10 do not pump more fuel than you will burn out in a couple of weeks. I am not a fuel expert but I destroyed the tops of all my rod berrings, most likley due to this problem. I used stabilizer on a full tank of gas stored for about 6 months.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

If you have blower motors, get rid of that fuel !!! Pump it out into your cars, neighbors cars and lawnmowers !!!

Put fresh fuel in because if you do not, you run the risk of detonation due to boost and lost octane rating. It will be well worth the hassle. Cheaper than building a new motor !!!

And next fall run boat until almost empty and store it empty.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If you have to run 93 octane, then you have do something to boost the octane back up. Gasoline looses octane and Stabil does not stop the octane loss. Figure .5 loss inoctane per month to be safe. You have to mix some high octane race fuel to bump it back up or pump it out into your cars and trucks and start fresh.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered

Default fuel

Thanks for the responses, I was kinda thinking about the loss of octane over winter and thought about the octane boost, but probably would be better to get it mostly out. Thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed,
Consider just pumping out a barrel (55 gal) and replacing it it a barrel of 110 leaded race gas. Even if the current gas was now down to 87 (doubt it) weighted you would now be at 94.7with light lead. You can add this fuel back with later mixed with 100 gal of fresh 93. The current price in OH is about $5.50 gal
I keep a few barrels of Sunoco 110 the shop to sweeten the mix for all poker runs. I mix 93 and 110 at 4 to 1 be safe. At 125 gal total, this cocktail only cost an incremental $75 per 125 gal of total fuel...cheap insurance if you are running hard or worried about stale fuel Unopened, a barrel of race fuel has a 2 year shelf life. You can make a rig with a $100 Jegs/Summit electric fuel pump and be in the gas business. I have my transfer system permanently mounted on the bilge firewall. Just move an -6 nut, turn two levers and connect a 25' hose to the barrel...push a switch.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel-imgp1039.jpg  
Old 05-28-2009, 02:00 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Gas stations get fuel deliveries several times a week to keep it from loosing octane.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, I can just see the rebuild costs of two blower motors. No thanks. Get yourself some barrels and pump her out. If it was a pair of 496's, it would be another story.

Darrell.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E10 has a 3 month life from what I am told by gas suppliers. The gas stays stable, the ethanol separates & evaporates out of it. Fuel in stations don't keep it for a month. The average station, 2-4 dispensers, sells about 150,000 per month. Transports drop 8,800 per delivery to stations. That is about 17 drops per month. Larger stations, 6-8 dispensers can sell 400,000-500,000 per month. I would not use that gas or do as suggested about with racing fuel. Be very careful with racing fuel. It has an extremely low flash point and static spark can ignite it. If you are not wanting to mess with that, use the suggestion above and pump it into cars. Keep it empty over the winter.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought this web site was about learning from other peoples mistakes. I posted my experense and others have had the same problems. Why would anyone recomend not to pump out empty and start with fresh gas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.