Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
SmartCraft Trim Limit Switch >

SmartCraft Trim Limit Switch

Notices

SmartCraft Trim Limit Switch

Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Not sure how this relates to your problems, but I ran into a CF this spring with a non-working digital trim sending unit. My boat has a smartcraft engine (496 MAG built 9/'03) with analog gauges. The gimbal came with a digital trim limit switch and an analog trim sending unit for the gauge. The limit switch failed, so I looked for a kit that had my setup (digital + analog). No dice. Merc now only offers a single digital trim limit/sending unit switch for my application. The kit comes with the one digital switch that performs both functions and a plastic blockoff plate for where the old analog sending unit would have been. This would work if I had smartcraft gauges but I have analog. Merc sent a couple different AGI setups and non of them would get my gauges to work. The final solution, and this came from Merc, was to install the old style analog kit on the gimbal ring (analog units for limit and the gauges) and then plug in the new digital all in one switch to the computer and tape it to the wiring harness so that the computer would not throw a code and beep at you all day long. They are working on a solution but have not come up with one yet. This is almost a big of a clusterpuck as changing the crankshaft position sensor and making you change your timing chain and cover to utilize the new sensor.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
The sender you're talking about is digital. Hot, Ground, & Data. Is it throwing a code? Is there an issue or just wanted to know?

I can't use it on my drive but the ECM "wants" to see it so i leave it tucked away and turned to 180 degrees out from center so the correct voltage stays in place and not to trip the check engine notice etc..
I determined my switch is bad because when I unplugged it the trim up then worked just fine like the trailer up switch. (with engine key off). New switch ordered but would like to run boat now.

What does the PCM555 do when attempting to run with no trim limit switch connected?

My engine is actually a 2004 with analogue gages and the digital trim limit switch.

Last edited by Rage; 08-14-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:04 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Possible fault code set 130 or 131 trim circuit High or low. The warning horn turned off for these 2 faults and no guardian should be active for this. I say should be NO but with voltage and PCM's sometimes funny things can happen to set another fault putting it into guardian.'

Fault code 131 is Trim circuit low in which means trim sensor and or circuit open.

Also you could have checked your trim for a switch problem with a made jumper wire testing back at the trim pump itself just saying.

Also asked do have DTS have no idea why you can not answer any of these questions to get problem issues answered correctly ? . Now I see that it is a 2004 so I know what wiring harness you should have but I recall your RAGE is not a stock app anyways from seeing many posts before. Good luck with it. .

Last edited by BUP; 08-14-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Possible fault code set 130 or 131 trim circuit High or low. The warning horn turned off for these 2 faults and no guardian should be active for this. I say should be NO but with voltage and PCM's sometimes funny things can happen to set another fault putting it into guardian.'

Fault code 131 is Trim circuit low in which means trim sensor and or circuit open.

Also you could have checked your trim for a switch problem with a made jumper wire testing back at the trim pump itself just saying.

Also asked do have DTS have no idea why you can not answer any of these questions to get problem issues answered correctly ? . Now I see that it is a 2004 so I know what wiring harness you should have but I recall your RAGE is not a stock app anyways from seeing many posts before. Good luck with it. .
Thank you for your info and suggestions. I should have mentioned that I have the mechanical shift and throttle control. Bravo 1X Transum Assy Ser# 0W137378, engine Ser# 0W035700 and trim limit sensor #863187A. I have made it a point to not do anything that would degrade the Guardian system which I want to maintain intact.

I do have the Smart Craft SC-1000 gage installed but do not know how to use it for any detailed diagnostics. It just seems to only flash a picture of an engine when ECU is complaining of a problem. I will hook up the Diacom and / or the Rinda code reader and see what faults come up with key on and trim limit sensor not connected. I took the bad limit sensor apart and found it to be fully potted with epoxy and possibly some form of a Hall Effect type device with two opposing magnets in its rotor. No way to repair that. I thought about the jumper idea but too paranoid that I might damage the ECU since wiring diagrams showed a number of trim limit circuit connections there.

Thanks again for the info! Much appreciated. Any other thoughts please post.