Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   SmartCraft Trim Limit Switch (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/209656-smartcraft-trim-limit-switch.html)

DesertRage 05-27-2009 10:33 AM

SmartCraft Trim Limit Switch

How does the SmartCraft Transom Assembly Trim Limit Switch work? Mine has a three wire plug coming from the limit switch (contacts labeled A, B, & C). As far as I can tell there is not much of a circuit resistance change between the contacts and all three have continuity while rotating the switch. My previous 96’ boats transom only had two wires coming from the limit switch and it was an open or closed circuit. I am aware of the Starboard side trim sender, not talking about that… :confused:

Thanks!

SDFever 05-27-2009 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2873907)
How does the SmartCraft Transom Assembly Trim Limit Switch work? Mine has a three wire plug coming from the limit switch (contacts labeled A, B, & C). As far as I can tell there is not much of a circuit resistance change between the contacts and all three have continuity while rotating the switch. My previous 96’ boats transom only had two wires coming from the limit switch and it was an open or closed circuit. I am aware of the Starboard side trim sender, not talking about that… :confused:

Thanks!

The sender you're talking about is digital. Hot, Ground, & Data. Is it throwing a code? Is there an issue or just wanted to know?

I can't use it on my drive but the ECM "wants" to see it so i leave it tucked away and turned to 180 degrees out from center so the correct voltage stays in place and not to trip the check engine notice etc..

DesertRage 05-27-2009 01:10 PM

Well, it was working fine, but then I "Fixed the boat" :D . Actually, I replaced the 496 and associated wiring with a 555ci carb engine. Which brings me to the problem. I would like to hook the limit switch back up and that is when I noticed the three wires instead of the expected two. Is there a way to use the switch with a converter or would it be best to replace the digital switch with the earlier style.

Thanks for the reply.
Jon

SDFever 05-27-2009 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2874043)
Well, it was working fine, but then I "Fixed the boat" :D . Actually, I replaced the 496 and associated wiring with a 555ci carb engine. Which brings me to the problem. I would like to hook the limit switch back up and that is when I noticed the three wires instead of the expected two. Is there a way to use the switch with a converter or would it be best to replace the digital switch with the earlier style.

Thanks for the reply.
Jon

Naw I'd just buy an older 2 wire analog sender if you really want to have a limit sender installed. The 3 wire won't work for you without the computer and harness to plug it into.

DesertRage 05-27-2009 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by SDFever (Post 2874034)
I can't use it on my drive but the ECM "wants" to see it so i leave it tucked away and turned to 180 degrees out from center so the correct voltage stays in place

Out of curiosity, why are you unable to use the switch on your drive? Did you bypass the switch and run without a trim limit (no trailer switch needed)?

SDFever 05-27-2009 01:19 PM

The factory X Dimension on my boat causes the limit swith to stop the trim when it's almost down all the way. Don't need trailer trim.

Those things fail all the time in the water and they're really only to help make it idiot proof. You know to trim by feeling, ride, and sound/vibration.

DesertRage 05-27-2009 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info SD! It sound like it would be best to just bypass it and pay attention to the mechanical indicator when idleing in the shallows.

Rage 08-13-2015 10:37 AM

Digital Smartcraft Trim Limit Switch

Originally Posted by SDFever (Post 2874034)
The sender you're talking about is digital. Hot, Ground, & Data. Is it throwing a code? Is there an issue or just wanted to know?

I can't use it on my drive but the ECM "wants" to see it so i leave it tucked away and turned to 180 degrees out from center so the correct voltage stays in place and not to trip the check engine notice etc..

My trim up quit working. I have the three wire 'digital' trim limit sensor. How do you test / determine if switch is good or bad? Any other areas of that system/circuit that is more likely to cause loss of up trim than others? I switched the trim up relay with the fuel pump relay and still did not work. I am getting no fault codes from ECU.

BUP 08-13-2015 04:50 PM

Asking you have mechanical shift or DTS ?

a bit of info beforehand.

There is a transom harness that connects to a bunch of sensors in the transom assembly. ( Transom harness to engine harness connector). - So Asking if you connected both the trim limit connectors B and F at the sametime as this will cause a failure in the trim circuit meaning possible no trim ?

Also will need to more which wire harness and pin connections you have.

lets see there is

10 pin

14 pin

DTS 1st model yellow CAN cable

DTS - 14 pin / 10 pin

DTS - 14 pin

or even better yet the harness part number would be great to make things easier for me to tall what exactly you have

AllDodge 08-13-2015 05:26 PM

Haven't been able to get mine working. Installed HP transom with digital sender. Bought the digital to analog converter kit (884359T1 converter 884359T1). The limit does not work, tried all kinds of adjustments, but no luck. The gauge has started to work but works backwards. When down shows full up in the red, as I trim up it starts coming down